Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problems w/ Mute button

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems w/ Mute button

I have taken my car in to the dealer (covered under extended warranty) to get the mute button fixed. They gave the car back to me and said that they replaced the mute button on the steering wheel. After I drove off it started messing up again. Took it back and they adjusted the button. Well it is still messing up. The Service Mgr. said that there is a delay switch in the steering column which is only supposed to keep the radio muted for 30-40 seconds.

My problem is sometimes it stays muted for 1 second upto 3 minutes.

Does/has anyone else had this problem?

Is there really a timer on the mute button? (or is he just feading me a line of bullsh*t) If there is a timer how long is it really supposed to keep it muted?
Old 06-30-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Problems w/ Mute button

line of bullshit.

Mine died so i just don't worry about it.

Ryan.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Teching In

I'VE HAD INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS WITH MY MUTE BUTTON. ONE THING I HAVE NOTICED IS THAT IT WILL STAY MUTED INDEFINITELY ON "RADIO" BUT WILL CEASE MUTE WHEN THE CD CHANGES TRACKS.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:49 AM
Teching In

Pull the radio head and clean the contacts on the back of the radio with electronic cleaner. The "delay" is baloney. It is instant on or off. All those chemicals in the seats, plastic, carpet etc are aerating when it is hot and attracting to electrical contacts. There are a bunch of contacts on the radio head and mine requires cleaning every summer and works fine for a few months or until winter comes and the fumes subside. Thought I needed a new monsoon but a little electronic cleaner has worked every time.