Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Firebird sound setup recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird sound setup recommendations

Reviewing all the threads I could bear on the subjects of the Monsoon amp, wiring, speaker recommendations, and combinations, this sure seems like a subject that has more artistic answers than most. So here's my request for some recommendations. BTW, big thanks to WhiteBird and KEE for all their generous responses to others in the past, it helped me narrow rapidly what I'd consider.

Facts:
The firebird is fair-weather driven and usually for short distances. It is somewhat loud with a Borla and TSP catted headers.
The wife (main driver) loves techno and bass. When I ride with her I have to pare back the bass because of the terrible distortion. I want this rectified.
We are SQ-oriented.
The deck will be replaced by an Alpine IDa-X200.
I have a spare Alpine MRP-F450 amp.
I know for certain I want to replace the door speakers with component speakers.
We use the trunk to store the lids so a boxed sub is probably out.

Presumptions:
~$2-300 total for front door speakers is my limit.
Sound deadener will not INITIALLY be installed (probably).
I am not afraid of having to re-run wires as I just went through some of that for the passenger window fix.
I will disconnect the trunk speakers entirely.

Questions:
To achieve my goal of SQ and greatly reduced distortion, should I replace the Monsoon amp with the one I have? What config?
Can I survive without changing the sail speakers or is the distortion going to be problematic with stock?
I'm quite unsure about door speakers. I've seen the CDT's Kee's sells but what compares to those? Morel's, Focal's, or what? I have no access to hear any of those that I know of so some lead (links, quick takes) on strengths would be appreciated.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll have follow-up questions but I appreciate the leads.