Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speaker Replacement

Well first off I'll let everyone know that I have no experience with stereos. I'm looking for stock replacement speakers for my 99 Z28, A door speaker is blown along with one of the sail panel subs. I'd like to replace the 2 in the sail and the 2 door speakers. I have searched around, read the FAQ, looked at the kee audio website and still seem to be in the dark. I'm not looking to spend alot of money and would prefer to keep my stock head unit for now, maybe later replace it. Basically I just want a decent sound when cruising around, nothing obnoxious. So please point me in the right direction on what kind of speakers to get, how much and where to buy them. I have no problem buying the CDT speakers off the kee audio website (even though I've never heard of them) as long as they sound good and are better than the stock junk. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the powerbass fronts and some 2ohm sails..

personally im staying with the stock HU aswell I like the stock look, iv had almost brand of deck working in car audio and the past and I just want something simple I just leave my bass **** all the way towards me and no worries.. probably doing a 10" soon
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99RebelZ28
I have no problem buying the CDT speakers off the kee audio website (even though I've never heard of them) as long as they sound good and are better than the stock junk. Thanks!
They're better than most speaker brands you probably have heard of. Also, the coaxially mounted components make excellent stock replacements.

CL-61CV is one option from Kee Audio
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know alot of people have not heard of CDT. I just had a customer purchase a pair of CDT CL-6's for his sail panels not long ago. He also purchased a pair of MA Audio Y30C6 components for his doors. He installed the CL-6's first and when he heard what they sounded like called to ask if he could pay the difference and return the unopened box of MA Audios for a CDT CL-61CV comp set. I've used them in my personal vehicles for about 4 years now and haven't looked back. CDT makes great speakers that sound incredible.
That being said the reason I carry the Powerbass 3XL line (and the rest) is because of the bang for the buck factor. These are budget speakers yes....however when is the last time you saw a budget speaker that was 3ohm, had a kevlar composite cone structure, a silk dome tweeter, rubber butyl surrounds, and a real passive crossover instead of the little capacitor normally found on coaxials. A speaker in this price range that combines all of those features normally found in higher end speakers for under $99.00 a pair is rare. Plus they don't sound like a budget speaker either. Good midbass and crisp highs. They are Powerbass' top of the line coaxial though so to Powerbass these aren't budget. They threw everything they had at them and it worked.
I use what I have had good success with.
I do have several others now but haven't put them up on my site yet because I haven't varified stock yet with my distributor.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the Powerbass fronts fit in a Camaro with no modding? I need to replace my Alpines that don't sound right...
Old 03-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are a perfect fit and easy to wire up. They use the stock mounting baskets and fit exactly the same as stock. I have a couple of stock mounting baskets (camaro and firebird) so I try different speakers to varify fitment.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

personally i go with alpine...but it all depends on how you want you music to be heard.

and it will sound MUCH MUCH better if you put in an aftermarket head unit.

and be sure to tune the speakers right so you dont blow anything....

personally i set them a little more in the rear cuz the fronts are so sensitive.

this is all just IMO