Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stock monsoon system and ad a sub.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock monsoon system and ad a sub.

i know this is possable to do. add on a sub or 2 to a stock monsoon system. i ran across a web site that makes harnesses to connect the steering wheel volume controls etc. to an aftermarked head unit. any one know what that web site is? it also has instructions on how to set up the amp for the subs on the monoon system. if anyone knows, let me know. thanks.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: stock monsoon system and ad a sub.

I have the stock monsoon with two subs added on. I tappped the speaker leads for the factory "sub" speakers and ran them into a lineout converter, then ran the rca from the converter to the amp. Worked like a charm

Almost forgot: I got the remote turn on from the antenna lead. I just tested the wires on the antenna harness to see which one showed 12V when the radio was on and tapped into that.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Launching!

cool. so did you use just one of the monsoon subs and disconnect the other sub? well im only going to be running 1 sub anywas, so i guess ill only need to use one. the other question i have is, you got the subs in, do you have a volume **** you use to turn the subs up and down, or do you use the bass **** on the head unit to turn the bass up and down?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

To get signal, I tapped onto the leads for each stock sub. I basically just stripped the insulation back and soldered a wire onto it. Four wires total, positive and negative for each side.

I did this on both sides, and did not disconnect anything. In using both sides you create more of a non-fading signal. That is to say, if you only tapped onto the right side, when you faded left your bass output would be reduced b/c the signal is only coming from the right side (which had been faded down). Besides, most (if not all) converters have left and right input, so I figured I'd get a cleaner signal if I used both

The lineout converter that I used has some sub controls (gain and bass boost) so I set those to a good place and fine tune with the controls on the radio itself. The crossover slopes on the monsoon radio seem pretty crappy, so I'm thinking about putting my EQ in just to be able to control it more accurately

Your amp should have those kind of controls (and maybe even high level input which would eliminate the need for a converter) so you should be ok setting them where you want and fine tuning/adjusting for different songs with your head unit.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actualy, I taped into the full range speaker leads, if you're going to be adding anything other than the subs in the future you'd wish you would have done it differently. I'm sure your amp has a lowpass filter for only letting the frequencies you're wating to get through, amplified through the amp. Iused a speaker level to RCA adapter and then a set of RCA patch cables running from their to the amp.

What type of car do you have? camaros don't have a wire for the power antennae.

If you're using a Fosgate amp, they have the Punch remote bass control you can wire up to control the amount of bass comming through the sub. Unfortuantely, with the stock head unit you don't have too much control over your audio system.

For the steeringwheel controls you're wanting a "PESWIX" from peripheral electronics... http://www.peripheralelectronics.com..._interface.htm or there are other comanies that market the exact same interface.
Make sure that you have an aftermarket head unit that supports the use of an IR remote.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Launching!

the amp im going to be getting is the jl 250/1 amp. i know i can get a remote bass volume **** thing. i was thinking about where i could put it this morning on my way to work. in the ash tray? or maybe that little cubby hole below the head unit on the lower left? i dont know the dimensions of it, so i guess i'll find out when i get it.