Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car alarm

i have keyless entry on my 2000 camaro. but im also wanting a car alarm and all that stuff. is there anyway i can keep my remote i have now and just add on the alarm equipment. i don't really want to remotes. i want my remote i have now to arm when i lock the doors.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Default Re: car alarm

I've seen a factory addon package, however I don't know how much more effective it would be than stock.. look at DEI (viper)

Otherwise you'll have to design it; which if you have an electronics experience should not be hard at all.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: car alarm

If you add an aftermarket alarm your stock key fob will only control your locks and trunk pop but not your alarm. But you can program the new remote to unlock and lock as well as pop the trunk so you only have one key fob. I have a Viper 550S with alarm remote start and it controls everything perfectly. Any good shop should be able to program it in no problem.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

I have a Viper 791 xv....but tis got errytihng and a LCD screen with a 2 way pager/receptor
Old 01-25-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Hopefully your remote doesnt crap out in a month. The previous model the 790XV had from what I saw like a 40% failure rate after 3 months. Its covered underwarranty but a bitch to have to have your new keyfob reprogrammed because they made a crappy piece.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

You can buy a DEI Hornet 700T to upgrade your keyless entry system to a full alarm. It uses the factory key fob, has a built in shock sensor, a siren and connectors for additional sensors (I added a perimeter sensor for when the tops are off). Installation can be done without cutting any factory wires (just splice into wires at the BCM).

I have had it for over a year now and I'm very satisfied. You can't tell that it's not from the factory. The unlock button unlocks the doors and turns off the alarm while the lock button locks the doors and sets the alarm (or you can program the alarm to arm automatically). If you do the progressive door lock mod, you can also use the second channel for an option such as power window control - still using the factory key fob.

Edit: BTW, you can find it online for about $75.