Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Best Wet Sump Pan for High-G road race car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Wet Sump Pan for High-G road race car?

There seems to be a lot of information/misinformation on pans, oil pumps, and just about everything else to prevent blowing up an LS1!

I just recently installed an LS6 in a Panoz race car. Well just installed LS6's in two Panoz...

They are both built fairly similar. LPE high volume oil pump, Moroso 20140 7qt oil pan, oil cooler/remote filter.

One of the cars was at a race last weekend and during practice GRENADED - See my pics in threaded labeled "HOLY ****..."

So now I am paranoid!

The Moroso pan is a 7qt pan, but the baffling in it is designed more for a drag race car(trap doors front and rear) and offers no oil control left to right. So I went and ordered the AutoKraft/Sommers oil pan that has 4 corner baffling and appears to be much more designed for oil control in a road race car. EXCEPT, its only a 5.5qt pan. I had issues with the moroso pan sloshing too much oil and I was SPEWING oil out of the PCV valve holes(capped with breather/filters) BAD!

In my MANY searches I came across a handful of threads with people complaining about the HV oil pumps flowing TOO much and emptying the pans, hence the need to run a 7qt pan. (I rarely run my car past 6500rpms)

Any road racers have an opinion on what pans are best? I do run an accusump on my car(the old that blew up did not)

Dry sump is not an option(unless you have a setup for sale cheap! ;-) ) but I'd like to do everything I can with a reasonable budget to protect my motor. i am also installing a crank scraper to try and keep as much oil in the pan as I can!

I also modified the lifter trays to help the oil drain back quicker, anything else I should be doing?

Sorry for the rambling, its getting late and I have a race on Monday!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose you cannot fit the batwing corvette pan in...my z06 has a lot of track miles on it and does not lose pressure. I believe the hv pumps are a big problem unless one has a very substantial sump volume. I think the accusump helps a lot...have one on my 406.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will either of these work for you?
Part# LS F Body
LS F Body Pan

5" Deep F Body Pan with road race style gating. 5 quarts in pan plus filter and lines.

Uses Pickup# LS 103-5
Pickup Price: $45.00

$300.00

link to page. http://www.kevkoracing.com/wetsump_chevy.htm

we are a kevco dealer if you are interested.

Part# LS F Body 6.5
LS F Body Pan

6 1/2" Deep F Body Pan with road race style gating. 7quarts in pan plus filter and lines.

Uses Pickup# LS 103-6.5
Pickup Price: $45.00

$300.00
Old 03-13-2010, 02:41 AM
drz
On The Tree

The Canton Accusump oil accumulator is a very common addition to road-race LS motors. Just keep the pan you have and throw an accusump on it and you'll be fine.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

yeah, I have an accusump, and I actually just bought a used dry sump setup, so it may not matter, but this is still good info.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Teching In

I too would like to know this answer.
Best low profile in the front pan with no filter location on pan

install will connect to accusump and remote filter location.

Quick Reply: Best Wet Sump Pan for High-G road race car?