For those who want big nasty cams with lots of lift, etc... - Page 4 - LS1TECH

Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who want big nasty cams with lots of lift, etc...

Old 12-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #61
Launching!

If everyone here was running our cars in stock eliminator, cam selection would be very critical. Since few, if any of us are stock elim racing, I don't think it really matters just a whole lot. Most of the cars here are street driven rides that don't have to be perfect to be able to enjoy them. Personally, I don't care if joe blow overcams the snot out of his car. Most joe blows are only looking to impress with their nasty idles and big hp numbers. Most could care less about power under the curve or about having the correct cam. If they're happy, I'm happy.
krexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #62
On The Tree

This old thread was worth reading and offered some great info on spring selection.
BORN2FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #63
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Excellent information! I already have Ti retainers, but didn't know you could get Ti keepers also . . . anybody know how much they cost or where to get some?
read the whole thread, didn't find an answer to this question. i would like to know.
brian_rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 AM   #64
10 Second Club

If you're at the point of noticing a gain with titanium locks... you've spent a lot of money optimizing your valvetrain already. We're talking 3 grams savings per pair, at the cost of running a hollow stem intake valve for a 20 gram mass savings.
Wicked94Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #65
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked94Z View Post
If you're at the point of noticing a gain with titanium locks... you've spent a lot of money optimizing your valvetrain already. We're talking 3 grams savings per pair, at the cost of running a hollow stem intake valve for a 20 gram mass savings.
What exactly are you trying to say here? Better to get the hollow intake valves or that Ti locks are silly...Im slightly confused by the second part of ur statement.

Some people just want the added ability of spinning their engine to 7+k rpm no problem and the lighter valvetrain will help for sure. Also, when u are spinning that high, u usually have a bigger cam that makes its power up there which will then have a higher lift which then requires a stronger, more stable valvetrain to handle that abuse...this is why these threads appear; people want a lightweight strong valvetrain w/o having to spend out the *** for it if possible.
Fb0dy0nly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #66
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly View Post
What exactly are you trying to say here? Better to get the hollow intake valves or that Ti locks are silly...Im slightly confused by the second part of ur statement.

Some people just want the added ability of spinning their engine to 7+k rpm no problem and the lighter valvetrain will help for sure. Also, when u are spinning that high, u usually have a bigger cam that makes its power up there which will then have a higher lift which then requires a stronger, more stable valvetrain to handle that abuse...this is why these threads appear; people want a lightweight strong valvetrain w/o having to spend out the *** for it if possible.
What I'm saying is, titanium locks on my motor will only save 3 grams per pair, and you'll probably see even less difference with your 8mm ls1 stuff. That's worth about 25 rpm assuming you have a stable valvetrain to begin with. AKA no spring surge, stiff pushrods (3/8" if you're going 7k+), minimized rocker deflection. There's better ways for money to be spent, unless you've spent it all already. I'm not sure that made sense...
Wicked94Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #67
Teching In

Good INFO!!!!
USMCcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote