Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

For those who want big nasty cams with lots of lift, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If everyone here was running our cars in stock eliminator, cam selection would be very critical. Since few, if any of us are stock elim racing, I don't think it really matters just a whole lot. Most of the cars here are street driven rides that don't have to be perfect to be able to enjoy them. Personally, I don't care if joe blow overcams the snot out of his car. Most joe blows are only looking to impress with their nasty idles and big hp numbers. Most could care less about power under the curve or about having the correct cam. If they're happy, I'm happy.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

This old thread was worth reading and offered some great info on spring selection.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
Excellent information! I already have Ti retainers, but didn't know you could get Ti keepers also . . . anybody know how much they cost or where to get some?
read the whole thread, didn't find an answer to this question. i would like to know.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're at the point of noticing a gain with titanium locks... you've spent a lot of money optimizing your valvetrain already. We're talking 3 grams savings per pair, at the cost of running a hollow stem intake valve for a 20 gram mass savings.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
If you're at the point of noticing a gain with titanium locks... you've spent a lot of money optimizing your valvetrain already. We're talking 3 grams savings per pair, at the cost of running a hollow stem intake valve for a 20 gram mass savings.
What exactly are you trying to say here? Better to get the hollow intake valves or that Ti locks are silly...Im slightly confused by the second part of ur statement.

Some people just want the added ability of spinning their engine to 7+k rpm no problem and the lighter valvetrain will help for sure. Also, when u are spinning that high, u usually have a bigger cam that makes its power up there which will then have a higher lift which then requires a stronger, more stable valvetrain to handle that abuse...this is why these threads appear; people want a lightweight strong valvetrain w/o having to spend out the *** for it if possible.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
What exactly are you trying to say here? Better to get the hollow intake valves or that Ti locks are silly...Im slightly confused by the second part of ur statement.

Some people just want the added ability of spinning their engine to 7+k rpm no problem and the lighter valvetrain will help for sure. Also, when u are spinning that high, u usually have a bigger cam that makes its power up there which will then have a higher lift which then requires a stronger, more stable valvetrain to handle that abuse...this is why these threads appear; people want a lightweight strong valvetrain w/o having to spend out the *** for it if possible.
What I'm saying is, titanium locks on my motor will only save 3 grams per pair, and you'll probably see even less difference with your 8mm ls1 stuff. That's worth about 25 rpm assuming you have a stable valvetrain to begin with. AKA no spring surge, stiff pushrods (3/8" if you're going 7k+), minimized rocker deflection. There's better ways for money to be spent, unless you've spent it all already. I'm not sure that made sense...
Old 03-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Good INFO!!!!

Quick Reply: For those who want big nasty cams with lots of lift, etc...