Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Advancing cam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advancing cam?

I had installed comp. cam 212/218 .5xx/.5xx lift cam about a year ago. I come to find out it has 0 degrees advance. I know it is a baby cam but have changed direction as far as the performance I would like(more drag racing). That being said and for information purposes had this cam had the typical 4 degrees advance would I have picked up anymore power or simply shift where it makes its power? From my understanding same power but sooner and dropping off early which seems indicative of when I dynoed that power did'nt drop off till 6500 plus.BTW I am thinking on a new cam in the 230/230 range and changing gears to 3.45 just need to go back and read cam discussions for a more informed decision on v.e. Any suggestions?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No that cam is so small in duration that you would probably lose TQ in the higher end of the RPM range where you need it now. Change the cam, meaning more duration and lower the LSA.

Bret
Old 10-14-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rays C5
I had installed comp. cam 212/218 .5xx/.5xx lift cam about a year ago. I come to find out it has 0 degrees advance. I know it is a baby cam but have changed direction as far as the performance I would like(more drag racing). That being said and for information purposes had this cam had the typical 4 degrees advance would I have picked up anymore power or simply shift where it makes its power? From my understanding same power but sooner and dropping off early.
You are correct that advancing the cam would change where it makes its power. Four degrees advance would allow the cam to build more low end, and trade some of the top end power. The short durations should allow that cam to make great power on the low end, and still carry it well up top since it is straight up. Retarding the cam could pickup more power on the top end, but as stated above, you really need more cam if that's what you want.

Are LS1 cams ground differently than SBC cams? I thought comp ground most of their cams with 4 degrees advance to save bottom end for the guys who buy the 'bottom of the page' cams.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Trying to decide on a cam now that would net 30/35 more hp /torque I thinking in the 230/228 range on a 114 . Just need to do research on valve events unless there are some suggestions on cams in that range with good v.e.?
Old 10-15-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many are making great power with the 224/228 grinds that are available. Check out the Patrick G Torque Cam Thread for more info...

If a set of heads are in your future, this looks like an excellent path.