Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior swap

So, I am in the middle of swapping out my poop-tan interior for ebony black in my car. (Im selling the entire tan interior btw $100)

Still trying to get ahold of a set of leather ebony seats from a trans am. Or looking to get some CLOTH racing seats that arent expensive.

So far it is coming along nicely (ill post up some pictures tomorrow) I used some Duplicolor vinyl paint and painted some plastics and the door panels black and they came out pretty good.

The carpet was NASTY when i got it, so i bought some carpet cleaner and cleaned the **** out of it. I still need to get rid of some odor though. Can anyone recommend a good odor remover for carpets?

Im waiting for my seatbelts to get here, sometime tuesday hopefully, so i can install my headliner and sail panel plastics.

Any suggestions for getting seats inexpensive? they have to be pretty comfy, and prefer cloth material.

Overall the hardest part of this swap was driving 4 hours to get carpet and headliner.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get me pictures.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tomorrow. you want my old stuff? lol
Old 10-10-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You shoulda just bought a new carpet.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why? new carpet is expensive. i got everything (plastics, carpet, and 2 t-tops) for 300 bucks.
the carpet is clean now, but still has a slight odor to it.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doin the same, but also adding some custom accents while I'm in there so I don't have to do it more than once. I opted to buy Specialized Stainless's leather wrap kit in Ebony so my entire set of hatch plastics, sail panels & door panels will be wrapped. I'm using SEM dye for the dash. I bought a stock Ebony carpet off here & I'm using Krylon fusion for my gloss black accents. I also have a custom headliner & door inserts goin in along with a slew of other goodies.

It's a major undertaking for sure. But like you said, this poop tan interior has got to go. Not only does it stain easy but just isn't my style. Good luck with yours man. It'll definetly be worth it when we are done.

Look up some MRC racing seats. I believe you can get a set of those for like $400 on ebay.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i will be adding a few little touches to my interior as well, nothing huge but little accents. i went ahead and painted my door panels with duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint and they came out awesome! the paint even worked well on the "leather" vinyl center section on the doors. the paint wont crack or peel even when i push on the vinyl.

Progress so far:

a little accent that i added:

still waiting on: seatbelts, and seats. then i can install my headliner.

anyone know where to get one of those plastic buttons that hold the center of the headliner in place?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

nice!! I am planning on doing the same thing. I also don't like the tan interior.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
why? new carpet is expensive. i got everything (plastics, carpet, and 2 t-tops) for 300 bucks.
the carpet is clean now, but still has a slight odor to it.
Makes your car smell newer
Old 10-11-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude the painted door panels look awesome! i was always skeptical about chipping and ****, but i guess it works. i love my tan interior though. good luck on finding seats.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
dude the painted door panels look awesome! i was always skeptical about chipping and ****, but i guess it works. i love my tan interior though. good luck on finding seats.
i was a little iffy on painting the door panels as well. but cleaned the **** out of them and coated them nicely with some adhesion promoter and it took paint pretty well. (saves me like $300 on buying black panels if i can find them)

even the vinyl center pieces (that are soft and squishy) took the paint and i can push in on them and the paint isnt cracking or anything! they still feel like they were stock, not cheap and painted lol.

Here are some updated pictures: (They are crappy but the best i could get at this time of day, and the panels need to be cleaned a little bit after me installing them with dirty hands)

(BTW, installing the manual door lock is a PAIN IN THE ***............. that is all)
Old 10-12-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

it really came out nice. glad it worked well for you. once you have the door panels off and on oh a dozen or two times, you will realize it doesn't get any easier hahaha
Old 10-12-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my seatbelts will be here tuesday so i can install my headliner....and still waiting on finding seats. im bidding on a set on ebay right now but hopefully it doesnt go much higher.

also i need some visors lol, i completely forgot about them. then i can vacuum and clean up everything and make it nice! woohoo!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Banned

I think the seats you asked about on my forum would look great in synthetic w/blue stitching and match the door panels...
Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont want to spend a lot. the seats i was bidding on (stock t/a) have been bid way too high for me right now.

i may wind up being a test animal for those BOMZ racing seats on ebay. im not looking for functionalitly really, just a nice comfortable seat, that isnt expensive.

if you wind up getting the mad racing seats in cloth for a little less than the leather or synthetic ill be all over those. and i decided against the blue stitching i think. i want to go with a chrome/silver and black interior theme.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

looking real good man! The door panels look good. Glad you chose to go black
Old 10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here is my idea for little accents:

-chrome vent rings
-chrome speaker rings (speaker and tweeter)
-silver gauge faces
-silver lining around door panel inserts
-billet hvac and headlight *****

and maybe play around with some silver cloth string or something and see how it would look stitched/glued into different areas.

still need seats.
-

Last edited by DevilDougWS6; 10-12-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

that'll look real good, keep us posted
Old 10-13-2008, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

wow doug! that looks sweet so far. the paint looks like it really took well to the panels. and i like all the little accents (tcs, ws6 thing when you open the door). tan sucks, and ive avoided buying a few cars just b/c of that. but you are doin a swap pretty easy so maybe i might endeavor to do that if i end up getting a tan interiored car. let me know what the final bill is! oh and i love that shifter. couple of my buddies got that one.

oh and i think 6liter eater just got the mcnord gauge faces, and i think theres a sale on them in the group purchases right now. idk if its still active but worth a shot!

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6

Progress so far:
BTW-- i like your tire lawn ornament over on the right!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Teching In

DevilDoug, where did you get your TCS switch? It looks awesome

Quick Reply: Interior swap