Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Halos Melting Lense? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Halos Melting Lense? Help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...=p4506.c0.m245

Alright guys, this weekend I installed my new Halo lights at my in-laws' place. During the 2 hr. drive home it got past dusk and the low beams came on automatically as usual and burned for about 30 min. before I parked my car in the garage. Since it was genuinely dark for the first time since I did the install, I got out and checked out the lights and noticed the lenses had little blisters right where the low beam light was shining. These spots were extremely hot!

They are the same model as shown in the link above except that the lens is smoked (I could not find the exact model for sale).

I wired the lights in the following manner:

Factory Lighting Coinciding with Halo Light Assembly
Daytime Running Corners -----> Orange Bulbs Only
Fog Lights + Corners -----> Orange Bulbs + 3 Corner LEDs + Halo Rings
Low Beams + Fogs + Corners -----> Orange Bulbs + 3 Corner LEDs + Halo Rings + Low Beams

Anyone familiar with these lights know that the accessory lights have to be spliced into corner/turn signal lighting or fog light wires to work but that the low and high beam bulbs simply attach via stock harness.

Info that may be helpful:

These low and high beam bulbs are HID (High Intensity Discharge), I assumed that no special hardware or wiring was needed and plugged them directly into the stock harnesses.

During the course of the install and ensuring that the splices were done correctly, etc. my battery ran low and I had to take a jump from my father in law.

I noticed that when I use my turn signal now, it clicks nearly 2X faster than it did prior to the Halo install.

Any ideas?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Aftermarket headlights = cheap plastic.

That and I don't think they're made for HID, might be wrong on this, though.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Even if they use cheap plastic, a lot of people are running them and I can't find any reports on this problem in particular. At this rate I'm afraid they will melt a hole in the lens inside of a week of night driving. There is definitely something wrong with these units or my wiring scheme.