Sponsored by: DashLynx

polishing aluminum rims....easiest way

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default polishing aluminum rims....easiest way

17" high polished aluminum WS6 rims.

I completely stripped the old clear coating off so they are bare. Just a little polishing is all they need.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the mothers metal polish and the mini power ball.
i have the original power ball and its just to big to get it in to the wheel spokes but the mini is perfect.
that and a electric drill makes it quick.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaun
get the mothers metal polish and the mini power ball.
i have the original power ball and its just to big to get it in to the wheel spokes but the mini is perfect.
that and a electric drill makes it quick.
who sells the power ball?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed

Most auto parts stores should have it.

Mothers polish is the best I've worked with but I've been told the stuff you get at Harley dealers is better than it.

~Jim~

Last edited by BassProCamaro97; 03-30-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

walmart will be the cheapest but u can get it at most parts stores
Old 03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
Agreed

Most auto parts stores should have it.

Mothers polish is the best I've worked with but I've been told the stuff you get at Harley dealers is better than it.

~Jim~
Agreed... that polish from Harley dealers is called Autosol. Its in a paste form and you can polish and polish and polish somemore to get the most shine you want out of your rims. Its the only stuff i use for polishing anything on my car. Works amazing
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

mothers power ball if they're already nice, otherwise you'll have to use scotchbrite (first red, then gray) on the rough spots, then polish the hell out of them with a powerball and a plug in drill...not battery powered for best results
Old 03-30-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lanes wheel acid works wonders on my tt2's like you wouldnt imagine
Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by therobman
lanes wheel acid works wonders on my tt2's like you wouldnt imagine
Just checked Lane's web site out and read about this stuff, sounds like it works great............ordered a bottle .........we'll see
Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
mothers power ball if they're already nice, otherwise you'll have to use scotchbrite (first red, then gray) on the rough spots, then polish the hell out of them with a powerball and a plug in drill...not battery powered for best results
There are a few slightly rough spots, where do I get this scotch brite? Auto parts also?

Generally the rims are very smooth to the touch, like glass, but there are hazy and discolored areas that I can slightly feel with my fingers when I rub them across the surface.

Is the scotchbrite only for areas that are rough to the touch?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would try just the polish first then and see if it cleans up. My wheels were dark gray when I got them from being stored for 10 years and 1 of them was leaning outside against a shed...face up. Talk about a nightmare to clean up.

Unless its really bad rough I would find gray or finer scotchbrite as try that. You should be able to get it anyplace that has 3m products, maybe even walmart. If not any parts store or hardware store should have some.

If you can get some pics with a camera set to macro mode and post them up I'll have a better idea how rough you're working with.

But to answer your question yes, the scotchbrite pads should only be used on rough spots. I usually go in a linear pattern first with heavy pressure to remove material, then as the pad becomes worn out and softer I start doing a circular motion with lighter pressure until it feels mostly smooth (you will stop feeling scratchiness through the pad). Once it doesn't feel rough through the pad you can switch to a cotton rag with hard pressure for just a bit and then just powerball away. Those rough spots will take more time than the rest.

It sounds more complicated than it is...it kinda comes natural once you start doing it and seeing the results.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on how far you want to go, all the pastes above work well in hand and with the power ball...if the pitting is too deep then you may need to go as far as sanding it smooth and then working back up with polishing rouge...i know you can get it at Northern Tool and i know online. Its a more abrasive polish and a little trickier to get the result you want but the finest rouge will give you a shine much better then that of a hand polish, the pastes though are great to maintain the polish though. I had to go through this when i bought my wheels, but this is the reason i like aluminum more then chrome. Yes it was a lot of work to get my wheels shiny again from the previous owner, but it was free other then my labor and you can almost ALWAYS repair curbs and scratches, chrome is less maintenance but you're screwed when it gets damaged
Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you really want to get a good shine out of them. Try this http://caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm I've used that kit on my wheels, and they looked like new. The extra time it takes is worth it IMO.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^That is the rouge i was talking about, a lot more work that way but you get the deep shine doing it that way, there are probably another 5 levels in each direction of more abrasive and even finer.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ i agree with him. I went through all 3 steps (not really needed though) and it made a huge difference. Just take your time with it, oh and its easier to do with the wheels off the car lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

hey this may be a diff topic but.. whats the best way to get rid of curb rash? That kit above or using sandpaper and sanding the crap out of it?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Small roloc discs and a air powered right angle grinder. I used the green and red discs to repair some on mine. I dont remember which is finer, but start with the coarse or medium and move to the fine, then move onto the polishing kit. If its not super deep curb rash, then you wont be able to even tell it was there.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres the stuff i mentioned i sprayed on a 50/50 mix of this with water and waited about 15 seconds. then it hosed off good. put on on some wheel polish and i was done i cant believe how good this stuff works i had caked on stuff i couldnt get off for the life me and i tried everything. i love this stuff. the pics are before and after

Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

pics?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by therobman
heres the stuff i mentioned i sprayed on a 50/50 mix of this with water and waited about 15 seconds. then it hosed off good. put on on some wheel polish and i was done i cant believe how good this stuff works i had caked on stuff i couldnt get off for the life me and i tried everything. i love this stuff. the pics are before and after

WoW! Read your earlier post so I ordered some of this, just did a UPS track, it gets delivered today, can't wait to try it.

Quick Reply: polishing aluminum rims....easiest way