Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Teach me how to detail!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Teach me how to detail!!!

Ok so i have tried the search feature a ton of times and i can't seem to find what i'm looking for, maybe because this is a pretty rediculous question. I take great pride in how clean my car is most of the time and usually i am happy with the detailing job i do, but...... lately i have been scoping out all of your absolutely gorgeous rides and you all do MUCH better jobs than i do. And i realized after seeing all of these clean sexy cars, mine really needs a heavy detailing job. So without further babble.... could you guys teach me some tricks of the trade on how to professionally detail??? I want to learn how to do this myself, what products to use and in what order to use them in. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me out!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

bump... come on now, i know you didn't click your fingers to make your cars that purdy! And if u did.....how did you do that???
Old 04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you check the stickies at the top of this section?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...eck-first.html
Old 04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OnyxY2KSS
Did you check the stickies at the top of this section?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...eck-first.html
Well it helps with the PC (if you have one, in which i don't. I normally do it by hand) And i'm focusing more on the exterior right now, not the underhood yet.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

whatever you use (towel, brush, etc..) make sure its damp so you pick up some of the dust/dirt and not just move it around. it is technically only dirty if you can see the filth so find anything you can, toothbrush, toothpick, q-tip to clean it. and get real close to what your working with to get all the details because the smallest details make the overall outcome look all the better.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

sorry. thought it was interior but still-anywhere you detail. start by cleaning the majority of it then get smaller details, then even smaller.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by futuref-body
sorry. thought it was interior but still-anywhere you detail. start by cleaning the majority of it then get smaller details, then even smaller.
no no no i appreciate the tip. Any tips are welcome!please keep 'em comin'! does anyone know anything about the clay bar treatment? i have heard a lot of good things...
Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php

alot of great info there from a beginner to the most seasoned pro. It will point you in the right direction for sure.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Banned

CD2! Amazing engine detailer!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as doing the exterior of the car such as the paint for instance. What color is it?? If its a darker color, black, navy blue metallic, or darker shades of red or maroon you really will only get great results by using a buffer such as a Makita or Dewalt.

If I were you I wouldnt be taking a buffer to my nice car never having any experince with it. Ive been doing cars and now planes for 8 years and it really takes time to get it right. I would try to find someones beater car and see if they dont mind you using there ride as a test mule a couple of times. Then once you feel confidant do your car.

As far as products go, alot of people will say tropicare or zaino or Menzerna. Ive never used any of those. For heavy cutting compounds Ive used the 3M Perfect it 3 with great success and for polishing and glazing Ive also had great success with the 3M foam pad glaze for black cars, but I use it on everything. And for wax I have had good luck with both Mothers liquid wax and on my car I use the Collonite paste wax, even though its tougher to work with.

For pads I use a wool pad for real heavy cutting and removing wetsanding marks. for light cutting I use a yellow foam cutting pad and for polishing and glazing I use a blue foam pad. The thing to remember is that different manufactures of pads use different colors on there foam pads for different uses. So one companys blue polishing pad could be anothers heavy cutting pad. You just need to research a little more and pick a product line and stick with them. I am sure a sponsor such as Tropicare could help you out a bunch. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Focus on the basics, and then refine each step of the process as you gain more experience. If you don't have the basics and process down, the technical details won't do you any good.

-Carefully and thoroughly wash the vehicle
-Claybar the paint and glass to remove embedded contamination
-Polish the paint with abrasive polishes and/or a cleaner polish to remove swirls, scratches, and other surface defects (by hand, orbital polisher, or rotary buffer)
-Dress and condition all rubber, plastic, vinyl, etc.
-Seal and/or wax the paint, lights, and glass

Your first major purchase beyond the (quality) basics, should be a Porter Cable 7424 or Flex 3401 orbital polisher, with some quality foam pads, and quality polishes. This will be your biggest leap to improving the appearance and condition of the vehicle. Both machines are relatively safe and effective when used with care and common sense.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Zaino go to www.zainobros.com and look at those pics. The website has a lot of info also with tips and tricks
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check this site out also....
http://www.detailingbliss.com/index.php
Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone! Thats exactly what i'm looking for.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ruedy4:

Reading the forums and watching the videos will help you understand the basic concepts of what you want to do. The practical experience of doing these tasks firsthand will really help you understand of what works and what doesn't.

Feel free to contact me with any questions on products or tools. We can get you started in the right direction.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

www.autopia.org will teach you everything.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
Ruedy4:

Reading the forums and watching the videos will help you understand the basic concepts of what you want to do. The practical experience of doing these tasks firsthand will really help you understand of what works and what doesn't.

Feel free to contact me with any questions on products or tools. We can get you started in the right direction.
Thanks for your info. I will contact you shortly.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 350f
www.autopia.org will teach you everything.
And thats a great site, full of info! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Teach me how to detail!!!