Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lt1 engine bay how to?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 engine bay how to?

how sensitive is the opti on the lt1's? my engine bay is disgusting and i need to find out where a leak's coming from so i need to clean under the car and everything, but i've heard the distributor is tempermental, is there anything i can do to protect it? i'd rather do the engine bay with degreaser and a pressure washer instead of by hand. thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt risk it if i was you.....
Old 10-18-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

just cover everything you are worried about with some plastic bags or something to prevent those areas from getting wet. and a pressure washer is pretty unnecessary, you dont need that much power.

the very first time i cleaned the engine i just used the hose (with no nozzle), and then some purple power, let it sit for a few minutes, and hosed it down. then repeated one more time. then i used some compressed air to get some water out, and started to engine to help heat it up. then used some rags to wipe it down. made it better, but not all the way to my liking. a couple days later i went through everything i could get to with a rag and the purple power cleaner'degreaser. and now it looks great.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

the opti sucks on the lt1. i wouldnt take any chances with that thing. do what crimson said
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Launching!

yea i figured it would be tricky if not nearly impossible. i ask because it looks like a dirty diaper under my hood, it's awful. when i worked at dealerships i never encountered another opti car and i was curious if i could still basically start the car soak the motor and rinse. but this sounds like a job i'd really have to get amped up to do, haha. might try it this weekend, thanks for the input.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea dont try cleaning by spraying a hose in the engine bay, even if the opti is covered with a bag or something. ive tried it to clean up some oil residue and hosed the bottom of the car down and i might have got just a little water in the opti because it didnt crap out but it started acting up
so just a little bit is taking a risk
Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wash under the hood of every car I have ever had including LT1s and LS1s and have never had a problem. I know the optis are prone to this but I wash the underside making sure to not spray directly over the opti. I have owned my LT1 for a year and a half now and wash it 2-3 times a month and have never had an issue.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did once on my 93 and had to replace the opti i didnt spray it directly, id just clean it by hand maybe spray wat you can but stay away from the front of the motor
Old 10-20-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

i wouldn't attempt it
Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wash mine every couple of months it dose not get real dirty cuz i only drive it maybe once a week, but i simple green the **** out of it then pressure wash the whole thing. i dont worry about anything, and never had a problem...

Quick Reply: lt1 engine bay how to?