Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Buffed the BLACK SS. With Pics!! What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buffed the BLACK SS. With Pics!! What do you think?

sorry for the cell phone pics but you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails Buffed the BLACK SS. With Pics!! What do you think?-photo-30.jpg   Buffed the BLACK SS. With Pics!! What do you think?-photo.jpg   Buffed the BLACK SS. With Pics!! What do you think?-photo-4.jpg   Buffed the BLACK SS. With Pics!! What do you think?-photo-5.jpg   Buffed the BLACK SS. With Pics!! What do you think?-photo-1.jpg  

Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice Looks like there's some light swirling left over - that GM paint is pretty hard.

What was your process?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

After the wash, I wet sanded all the imperfections (was painted several months ago, some still left over), then I compounded with a wool pad and polish. I let that sit for a couple of weeks with several hand polishes, then back at it again with a foam finishing pad after the polish had built up, the another hand rub with polish and went back over it with presta swirl remover, after it was all done I sealed it in with a wax. I used all presta products.. about 30-40 dollars a bottle. I can get a detailed list later.

Thanks for the comments
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gotta love the way black cleans up. Work it with a PC and it'll look even better
Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

anyone think I should put a manta or keep it all black? ANyone with photoshop put me on a gunmetal grey manta or scoop insert? Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ugaredcoat
After the wash, I wet sanded all the imperfections (was painted several months ago, some still left over), then I compounded with a wool pad and polish. I let that sit for a couple of weeks with several hand polishes, then back at it again with a foam finishing pad after the polish had built up, the another hand rub with polish and went back over it with presta swirl remover, after it was all done I sealed it in with a wax. I used all presta products.. about 30-40 dollars a bottle. I can get a detailed list later.

Thanks for the comments
you let it "sit".....as in...? "after the polish built up".....huh?

I'm kinda confused on your process and what the above means. but polishes arent exactly layer, nor are they meant to "sit for a couple weeks." you can layer sealants, waxes, alll that stuff.....but i'm eally confused on your process here. as zano said.....it looks like there were still many imperfections left in the paint (mainly moderate swirls from what i can see). take some pics in direct sunlight......or under the halogen lighting....and show us how it looks there. that will be the true test of how well the surface was corrected.

i think your car would looks GREAT with gunmetal as an accent color....if your wheels where a gunmetal color! nice looking vert tho dude!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

thanks sorry for the confusion, it had some really bad compound scratches in it from another guy so I had to use a polish filler to fill in those scratches. I had to let it build up on the paint cause otherwise it would just wash off, even after a wax
Old 01-13-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

which pic has the swirls? I can't see anything but the ground? Maybe the ground looks like swirls?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

thanks sorry for the confusion, it had some really bad compound scratches in it from another guy so I had to use a polish filler to fill in those scratches. I had to let it build up on the paint cause otherwise it would just wash off, even after a wax
lol....its just gonna wash back out eventually. it is a filler, and fillers are not permanent. if you were polishing it correctly or using the right polish, the polish would not "fill" the scratches.....it would remove them completely. polish is abrasive.....it is designed to remove clearcoat, while in the process removing scratches. while some polishes may have oils in them that act as fillers......polish should not be used to fill scratches. glazes, however......are meant for that (a quick fix).

which pic has the swirls? I can't see anything but the ground? Maybe the ground looks like swirls?
the pic on the far left has swirls. any true detailer can look at it and see swirling. the other pics dont show swirls....bc you didnt take the pics in direct sunlight like should be done when you are wanting to show off a detail. anything can look good in the shade!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

well, Im not a detalier, this was actually my first. The pic in the far right? I still don't see them, unless your talking about the swirl like marks toward the middle?? If so, that is a flower bed with a border in the front yard reflecting off.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

looks good man.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

not bad for a first job.....but as a detailer, and like ZaneO said, i can see there are moderate swirl marks comming off of the reflection of the sun. keep at it man, practice makes perfect....and www.autopia.org is you best friend.

get some pics in DIRECT sunlight, and you will be able to see the swirls better
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Looks good
Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

That looks great,good job bro.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I love a beautiful black car. It's a shame I can only keep mine clean for about two or three days at a time...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

any daylight/direct sun photos yet?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone think I should put a manta or keep it all black? ANyone with photoshop put me on a gunmetal grey manta or scoop insert? Thanks
Could use better res pics, but here ya go:
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

looks good for a first but like said before there are some swirls above the ss symbol in the pic all the way to the right. I have a black trans am and detail mostly black cars and they are a pain to get every little imperfection out of.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, I See what you mean, some of that is the sunlight coming through the trees in the woods but I ran over it with a pc and got it out
Old 01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

PC are great to have when owning a black car, im stepping up and getting a rotary over the winter to see what I can do with that. The key to black or any detail is having patience and good light to work in so all the imperfections can be seen.

Quick Reply: Buffed the BLACK SS. With Pics!! What do you think?