Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Firebird/TA's: Anyone with a door decal without the 3D emblems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firebird/TA's: Anyone with a door decal without the 3D emblems?

I'm curious. For some reason the 3D emblems on the doors were removed on my car, along with the Ram Air decal on the hood. Previous owner didn't like decals I guess, lol. I got a chrome decal kit that I want to put on, but I think it might look a little stupid without the emblems to put them on. I found the 3D emblems online paint matched for like $20 a piece, but was curious what it might look like without them.

It's gonna be a bitch to align without the emblems being there from the factory. Pics appreciated! Thanks
Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

they will look better than on top of the stock pieces, IMO. i had the black overlays on my stock ones, and, although they did not stick out very far, i think they would look a lot better by themselves.

but i do think it might look good if you did a different color. perhaps put the chrome on top of black, for a more 3d look. when i took mine off completely, i looked at them, and thought they might look preety good on some other colored car.

if you want to see how big they will be together, check my posts here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ay-emblem.html
Old 01-23-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks.

Anyone else? I know someone has some
Old 01-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

I have them, I'll get you a picture here soon. Had the stickers with no emblems on my old LT1 too, I know I have a picture on my laptop so I'll get you a picture of that tomorrow!

I took off my side molding so I thought it would look better with a smoother look.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

Subscribing! I'll be putting gloss black Trans Am overlays on my TA once the satin black paint job is done, and it'll be without the original badges, so I was curious to see this as well
Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them too. Makes the car look a little smoother. I used a level and some tape to get them straight, but the drivers side is still kinda crooked. So im probably going to redo them sometime.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool, lets see some pics!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-26-2010, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry no pics but as for aligning the new decals I like to use masking tape to tape of a box slightly larger than the decal then you have something to go by for alignment. I usually use a light mixture of soapy water in a spray bottle to spray back side of decal and panel your putting it on then you can move it around if necessary then just squeegy the water out.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Still waiting on pics..

I've got a chrome decal kit that came with the front bird, PONTIAC letters for the rear, Ram Air for the hood, everything.. So I want to put the chrome Trans Am on the door panels along with removing the side moulding. It'll be hard to line it up without having the emblems on there I'm sure. I don't think it can look BAD, especially chrome on SOM
Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

My pix aren't wonderful, I can get you better ones of my newer car once the weather permits.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

i couldn't get my pics to work, but...i've done this for years now. my old 93 formula had just a formula V8 sticker only from factory, that's where i got my idea from. they are better looking, and easier to clean around. on my current 00 TA, i started with just the overlay's on the door, then later deleted the side molding just to find them overlay's didn't look right. i found that the original location of the emblems was too high for my liking. i finally decided to center them in the middle of the bottom fender vent. i used the green masking tape to make my lines. just apply the tape and stand back, make your eyes check your straight lines. you'll eventually get it. the only other thing i could advise would be get a good set of overlay's then have your local sign shop copy them and save them on their computer. that way you'll always have fast access to them. believe me, you'll go through a couple of sets of them when you do this. if they don't look right to you, peel them off and try again. i keep three sets on hand at all times. another thing, i applied my dry with no fluids. you don't have the chance to move them that way, but it just worked better for me.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Would like to see pics of it centered.. I've got a decal kit where you press on and peal off the top, so luckily I won't have to apply each individual letter
Old 01-29-2010, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

TransamDoll... thats a sweet tatto.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

here is a pic of molding delete with decal centered. click on pic to close up. it may not be perfect, but it is where i like it for now. it might end up going naked before it's said and done. you def. don't want to put those on one letter at a time, although i did seperate the trans from the am for alignment purposes. good luck, i hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Firebird/TA's: Anyone with a door decal without the 3D emblems?-xsci0535.jpg  
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every Firehawk ever made has this you know that right? No Firehawk had emblems, only Firehawk script decals.
http://image.highperformancepontiac....front_view.jpg
Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm contemplating on doing this with my car with matte black trans am lettering.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that those were not intended to replace standard emblems.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

that's not what they are intended for, but it seems to work nicely for that. evilzo6, i believe you are correct, firehawks never had the hard emblems either. like i said before, my 93 forumla just had stickers on the doors, no emblems. i think that changed mid 90's, but i don't know when.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think formulas have anything on the door at all. If anything, a raised "firebird" like base models. But im probably wrong, ive never owned a formula. Next car will be a 98+ Formula WS6. Theres one for sale locally too, so sweet!

Quick Reply: Firebird/TA's: Anyone with a door decal without the 3D emblems?