Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

got pulled over for vht'd tails tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:48 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default got pulled over for vht'd tails tonight...

what should i do with my lights now?

i either have to remove the vht or buy new tails..
should i remove the vht and just smoke them, or leave them stock... they're 93-96 taillights.
Now:

opinions please
Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wetsand them down and clear them again, so their lighter..

my friends tails on his eclipse are totally black, but in the daylight they light up almost like stock. can you buy brighter bulbs?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Launching!

How much was the ticket??, just curious because I was thinking about doing this for my camaro. But might not now if I would have to deal with tickets and crap.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ $20 bucks says he didn't get a ticket, since he only said he got "pulled over"... If I were you I would just leave it tinted and get a CME exhaust setup, cause looking at your rear I would pull you over for that.... it's just black. but if you have other things like an ss spoiler and a CME going on I bet you'll be less likely to get pulled over. lol this isn't a joke either, I'm serious. Is anybody else catching on to what I'm saying...or am I just lost cause.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
^^ $20 bucks says he didn't get a ticket, since he only said he got "pulled over"... If I were you I would just leave it tinted and get a CME exhaust setup, cause looking at your rear I would pull you over for that.... it's just black. but if you have other things like an ss spoiler and a CME going on I bet you'll be less likely to get pulled over. lol this isn't a joke either, I'm serious. Is anybody else catching on to what I'm saying...or am I just lost cause.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lost cause, bro
Old 02-07-2010, 12:09 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
just wetsand them down and clear them again, so their lighter..

my friends tails on his eclipse are totally black, but in the daylight they light up almost like stock. can you buy brighter bulbs?
yeah, that's what i was thinking. for a smoked look.
the bulbs are perfect, idk about brighter bulbs..

you cant see my tails light up at all in the day time, haha!
Originally Posted by STREET99
How much was the ticket??, just curious because I was thinking about doing this for my camaro. But might not now if I would have to deal with tickets and crap.
no ticket, just a warning. i've been pulled over multiple times in this car and my old car for it though, and it's become a nuisance... like 7 times now. lol

you're right, no ticket.

i'd rather get it more legal because im tired of getting pulled over with my illegal windows and risk getting tickets for that.

i don't see how an exhaust set up is going to help me from getting pulled over though, nor a spoiler. i do want an ss spoiler though. i'm not a fan of the cme though.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

>> like looking at your car from a cops perception I would say that thing should get pulled over and does not look stock... now If you had a CME and an ss spoiler it gives it a more ...stock feel to it......I give up.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He's saying since his car is really dark from the back end (everything is black) if something lighter was put on the car like exhaust tips (something chrome) or even fill-ins the cop wouldnt have noticed the tail lights as easily and might have just bypassed the fact that he could barely see the tail lights.

If that didnt explain it a little better I give up, but I know what you're sayin.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

HELL YES!! that's what i'm talking about!! but it doesn't have to neccessarily be chrome or a color.. it just has to be something over there. so the attention is spread out and you don't just see "Black Tails".... glad someone got me. =]
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats why i run blackouts not VHT. I jus play dumb" oh im sorry officer i didnt know they were illegal i can take em off right now" lol while im thinking screw you cop write me a warning and leave me alone.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok.... but what if traffic can't see your tails? and then you end up being rear ended....?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Thats why i run blackouts not VHT. I jus play dumb" oh im sorry officer i didnt know they were illegal i can take em off right now" lol while im thinking screw you cop write me a warning and leave me alone.
I would've gotten black outs if they weren't so protruding for trans am tails.
Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Ok.... but what if traffic can't see your tails? and then you end up being rear ended....?
um.......not really... cause there are ppl out there with manuals who let their downshifts slow them down and not their brakes.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Traffic can see my tails just as good as if you had VHT'd em. no difference between the two. And ya some protrude worse than others but its really not bad at all, but the pair im running now look great not any protrusion at all. only bad thing bout blackouts is that they can be stolen thats it. and yes i downshift to slow me down quite often and never been close to getting rear ending and theres a lot of shitty drivers here in OK (knock on wood)
Old 02-07-2010, 02:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

OKAY, several things i'm gonna throw out there.

1.) how long have you had them? how many warnings? do you live in a city small enough to where the same cops may see you?

2.) you didn't get a ticket, so i see no reason to remove the tint unless you feel you will see this cop again and he will know he's stopped you before. which is probably unlikely. and if he does, he's just a dick.

3.) IF you get a ticket for it, it is a fix it ticket, which is pretty much free. they will make you fix it, and show proof it has been fixed by having a police officer look at it, and sign the ticket saying it has been fixed. it will only cost like $20, for processing fees. wheres as, if you choose not to fix it, it will be some ridiculously priced ticket $1-200. this happened with my windows (my ticket was like $250). i fixed it, and then retinted them a couple weeks later a slightly lighter shade. $80 ($20 fix-it ticket + $60 to re-tint) is better than a $200 ticket.

4.) for the people who think that having black outs makes you more likely to be rear-ended..... think about it. if it is daytime, as a driver, you should be able to see your surroundings at all times. and you should not have to 100% rely on a person's lights to see they are braking. so if you need to see the brake lights so you dont hit the person in front of you, chances are, you are just a bad driver.you should be able to tell when a car is slowing down.

and at night, you cant tell the difference between tinted and non tinted lights. the lights can be see good at night. so you should never have any problems at night.

--trying to fight a case in which you rear-ended someone is a VERY hard case. and is almost always blamed on the person who hit the car in front, not the person who got hit.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 02-07-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Crimson, you should become an Appearance & Detailing District Attorney for LS1tech.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1
Old 02-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Launching!

i got pulled over once for the taillights on my silverado that i had vht'd. the truck was black so it all blended the way yours do op. the vht did make my taillights next to impossible to see, but the brake lights were almost as noticeable as stock. funny thing was the officer said he pulled me over because my taillights werent working. he said your brake lights are good, but your taillights are out, might want to check the fuse. i took it as a compliment that i must have done a pretty good job paintin the lights haha.

during the day, i dont think i have ever noticed a vehicle stopped in front of me because his brake lights are lit up. when your watchin whats in front of you, and notice you are coming up on a vehicle pretty fast, theres a pretty good chance hes slowed down or stopped. if you need a bright light to catch your attention to slow down, your lookin out the wrong window. at night, covers/vht may dim the brake lights a little, but not to the point they shouldnt be noticed.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Teching In

hey guys ive had the same problem with my 99 z and the reason behind getting pulled over at night with these is cause when you get about 50 feet away from my car at night you cant see the lights cause mine are real dark so im actually in the process of getting a bulb like the ones you can get at autozone that are led except im trying to get white led instead of red because i tried the red ones and they arent much brighter for 20 bucks so im gonna see if i can get a white led taillight bulb so that its brighter at night and in the day but still dark with lights off i will post up when i get it figured out.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Launching!

^yea i know what ya mean. the truck i got now to dd, i vht'd the taillights extremely dark. im gonna get harassed for that till i get some stock ones for it. i had to do it tho cause the guy i got the truck from put euro lights on it. i literally would not drive it till they were covered up. 1990 silverado lifted 7 inches and rusted, and he put EURO LIGHTS on it. im not even gonna get started on that rant

Quick Reply: got pulled over for vht'd tails tonight...