Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would anyone be interested in a T-Top Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would anyone be interested in a T-Top Conversion?

So with summer coming up I’m looking for a new project. As some people might have seen, I did a T-Top Conversion on my car a few years ago (Link in sig if you wanna see it). I’ve actually been itching to do another one, and my buddy that I did the conversion with has the same itch. We’ve had a few people contact us but they’ve all fallen though. So I’m putting this out there to see if there’s anyone interested in having their Hardtop converted to a T-Top. If you’re interested, we’ll send you a detailed list of all the parts and hardware required for this. You will drop your car off one day, and pick it up a few days later 100% finished. All of you old parts will be returned as well if you want them back. We will ask to keep the roof skin as a nice souvenir of the conversion. But that’s up to you; it’s your car, your parts, your decision. Here’s the hard part though. A few small stipulations:

- You’ll have to bring the car to us in Toledo, OH. If you wish to stay in the area, or even participate in the conversion (more than welcome to), you’ll have to find room and board locally. We can suggest some nice places to stay. The conversion will take a few days. We could work out a timeframe with anyone interested.

- You’ll have to bring all the necessary parts for the conversion as listed in our provided parts list. Paint and body materials will be provided by us. The roof structure will have to be painted. We can do it in black, or body color. We can do custom colors too; we’ll just need as much info on the color as you have to match it. If you want body color, we’ll need the year, make, model, and a picture of the RPO door sticker.

- There will be a liability waiver to sign. We’re not a business. We don’t have insurance for this type of stuff. We’re just two guys who love to work on cars and have the skill to do this. This is basically to cover our asses should any damage happen during the conversion. We’ve done 2 conversions already and haven’t broken / damaged a single thing. The biggest risk is cracking the windshield. We do some banging on the metal just behind the glass, but the roof structure will be supported to avoid flexing. Again, we’ve done 2 cars with this method and never cracked the glass.

The final cost we’ve come up with is $1200. And if you would like, we’ll throw in the Window Motor Relay mod for another $60 (strictly covers the cost of parts).

I think that’s everything. If I think of anything else I’ll post it up. If you are interested, or have absolutely any questions, please feel free to ask.

And just for good measure, here's a few pics of the finished product.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

I wish you lived in the Florida area to do the body work on mine!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fly me out and I'm game! If the demand was there, and I had the resources, my friend and I have both said we'd love to travel to do these. But the cost would just be too high and neither of us would have the cash for it. And I know we could get yours fixed up perfect for ya too...
Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Almost everyone I know (besides the guy who did mine) who did a t-top conversion lives far away from Florida. I'm just wondering if a reputable body work can do all the body work without too much trouble. The only doubt in my mind is the fact that most shops probably aren't too knowledgeable on t-top conversions and what it will take to look close to factory.

I wish I could fly you out here
Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can anyone do a hardtop conversion
Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

$1200?!

You need to lower your price man, $1200 is insane. And if someone comes from out of town they'd be paying near $2k after all is said and done. I think you guys need to go back to the drawing board.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ill bring my car to Toledo, i live in Lima, but only if the 1200 included the parts.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
$1200?!

You need to lower your price man, $1200 is insane. And if someone comes from out of town they'd be paying near $2k after all is said and done. I think you guys need to go back to the drawing board.
Yup. You gotta remember this is nearly 60hrs of labor alone between 2 guys. Imagine what the cost would be at an actual shop at $60/hr. I know I've seen people do these conversions in a day or two. And I've also seen the quality and end result of these jobs.

As with anything I do / buy, I firmly believe that you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by bww3588
ill bring my car to Toledo, i live in Lima, but only if the 1200 included the parts.
Sorry, nope. Anyone who wants it done will have to provide the parts.

I honestly don't expect anyone to actually want this done. No-one seems to have a grasp on how much work is involved in doing this. It's not just "cut roof, install glass." There's time to let fiberglass cure, time to let bondo cure, time to let paint cure, time to adjust the windows to make it water tight, etc...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

It took me about 4 hrs by my self ... Not sure about the bondo n paint but thats what the other stuff took me I don't see 56 hrs for paint bondo n finish, just sayin 1200 or 1k with parts supplied seems fair to me I will say ur work looks great !!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:29 AM
TECH Regular

^^^what he said....nowhere near a 60hr job
Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

I live just about an hour away from Toledo, but do not have 1200 dollars lol
Old 05-02-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

$1200 lmao

Quick Reply: Would anyone be interested in a T-Top Conversion?