Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stick it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stick it!!!!

Ordering the 35th Anniversary Stripes. Silver on black paint...see sig.

I have got to get out of this Darth Vader look. Black windows, and black paint, black headlights, tailights....too much!

I have never actually seen one of these stripe kits out of the box. What is the "pain in the ***" factor?
1=they fell out of the box, attatched themselves perfectly to the car, and it rained dougnuts from the sky.
or
10=Have heart medication, use cattle prod to keep "recruits" from escaping the evil stripe kit, have a loaded weapon standing by in case the stripes decide to fall off, and suicide becomes a happy option.

Can two sets of hands get these on, or should I recruit more victims? Okay all kidding aside, how bad are these things to put on? I wanted to go with Red stripes....my wife gave me the "no f*cking way" look, so silver it is.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Take your time, line everything up perfectly, and two people will be
enough to do it. Patience is the key to getting them on right.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Just take your time. BTW orange on black looks good too..
Old 01-12-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the deal with the orange on the tires? Sorry, but that's overdoing it imfo...
Old 01-12-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SSG--Z28
What's the deal with the orange on the tires? Sorry, but that's overdoing it imfo...
Actually the car is not Black and Orange. It is Black and Red. It is a 2000 Berger SS. It is kinda weird looking. Seen it in person.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

I don't care for the letters on the tires either. I just like the stripes.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fast SS on TNT
Ordering the 35th Anniversary Stripes. Silver on black paint...see sig.

I have got to get out of this Darth Vader look. Black windows, and black paint, black headlights, tailights....too much!

I can relate ................ Truthfully I have never been a fan of stripes on the 4th gen cars.................. until about 5 min after I tinted my windows and my car had the Darth Vader look you talk about.

To break it up a bit I chose the 35th anniv style but I went with the terminated front pieces as I never liked the way the factory stripes just run off the front of the car and the rear doesn't. Looks to me like someone just used a paint roller and rolled the stripes right off the front valance. IMO

I had mine made in a darker Gun Metal color as I thought the Silver was too flashy for my tastes. But since you were thinking about Red then bright Silver might be just what you are looking for.

If you have ever tinted any windows or installed any vinyl lettering then I would give the project a 3 or 4 .............but if this is your first time doing anything like this then I would give it a 6 or 7 on your doughnut raining to suicide scale.

I installed them my self (no extra hands required) in about 4 hours, but I took my sweet time doing it as I trust nobody to touch my car.

Just take you time laying out the stripes before you stick anything to your car to be sure the look is just the way you like it. Ask for some scrap vinyl when you order or the extra hood insert piece (even if you do not want it) that way you can practice with some vinyl before mucking up one of your stripes as it can be removed easily while there is still some water under the decal. Then tackle the actual stripe kit starting with the hood and ending with the hatch stripes.

The hatch stripes might need a little tinkering dure to the curvature of the back of the car. Using a hair dryer (carefully) can help shape the vinyl around the curve of the hatch eliminating those "finger" bubbles. Just do not use a heat gun as it is easy to overheat the vinyl and destroy it (seen people do that before).

The results will be worth it in the end to rid yourself of the dredded 16 yr old Darth Vader look!

Before stripes.............

After.........

Old 01-12-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ulySSes

Tires
Old 01-12-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Be nice. If he wanted to add orange to his tires, his choice. Do what makes ya happy. Besides, it is very unique idea. Nobody wants a belly button car.

I'm not gonna get the silver ones. Charcoal, or orange. Thanks for the responses, I will post up pics when it's done.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scratch the anniversary stripes. Bought the Manta kit in silver (full kit). Yeah, I know its gonna be a pain in the ***. But I have patience, and attention to detail.

I got the kit last week, and am waiting for the spring thaw....too damn cold to even think about trying to apply them.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

let us know how it turns out.... silver on black looks SWEET.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

I agree, I need an SS hood before the stripes. They are too damn spendy though.

Quick Reply: Stick it!!!!