Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I had ANOTHER whistler mishap...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I had ANOTHER whistler mishap...

After melting my lens, I bought a new light and it seemed it would be smooth sailing from there, and it seemed so until this morning when I peeled the painters tape and paper away from the reflectors to view my nearly finished product and this is what I found:

As you can see, the low beam reflector's reflective paint is completely covered in cracks, and some of it flaked off. I am fed up with this supposedly easy Whistler mod project as it has been nothing but a PITA. I am probably going to buy a new drivers side light and return to stock appearance. I would love to have the Whistler look but this project has wasted my time and money.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I basically put fingers prints all over the sticky part of the tape and it worked fine. The oil from my hands kept the tape from being too sticky....
Also, some of the rectangular reflector sections on my driver's side lamp were cracking even before I took the headlight apart, so I used some chrome vinyl to fill in those areas and it looks as good as stock.

just some tips for future reference
Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
I basically put fingers prints all over the sticky part of the tape....it worked out fine. The oil from my hands kept the tape from being too sticky....
NOTE: some of the rectangular reflector sections on my driver's side lamp were cracking even before I took the headlight apart, so I used some chrome vinyl to fill in those areas and it looks as good as stock
My buddy showed me a trick by passing the tape over your jeans to make it less sticky.

To the OP just return to the stock look cuz your not having luck on your side.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
My buddy showed me a trick by passing the tape over your jeans to make it less sticky.
This

I got the "low adhesive" painters tape, stuck it on my jeans before applying it to the light, and even then I still had a couple small spots where it pulled off the reflective stuff
Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

I basically put fingers prints all over the sticky part of the tape and it worked fine. The oil from my hands kept the tape from being too sticky....
Also, some of the rectangular reflector sections on my driver's side lamp were cracking even before I took the headlight apart, so I used some chrome vinyl to fill in those areas and it looks as good as stock.

just some tips for future reference
Is it just a sheet of chrome that I stick on like a sticker? Sounds like a good idea

Last edited by FUH Q; 06-22-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
I use this method also both are effective
Originally Posted by FUH Q
Is it just a sheet of chrome that I stick on like a sticker? Sounds like a good idea

I bought this b/c it has the best mirror finish compared to other brands I have used. You would have to cut out individual pieces from the vinyl roll and "tetris" them on the reflector.. it is time consuming, but looks great when finished.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-x-...Q5fAccessories
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your luck. I want to do mine but I'm afraid I will do the same stuff to mine!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

I use this method also both are effective

I bought this b/c it has the best mirror finish compared to other brands I have used. You would have to cut out individual pieces from the vinyl roll and "tetris" them on the reflector.. it is time consuming, but looks great when finished.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-x-...Q5fAccessories
I'm going to try this. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 00SS4780
Sorry about your luck. I want to do mine but I'm afraid I will do the same stuff to mine!!!
I say do it anyway but be prepared. Also, make sure you sand the 'chrome' well. I had bad luck with the paint so i started over and sanded it all the way down to the plastic. Worked great after that. Oh and don't face the lens towards the heat coils in the oven or you will melt it like I did. Just take your time and be prepared if you have to shell out the cash for a new light.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

im about to start this tonight. I bought the "delicate surface" painters tape but i will also be sticking it to my jeans to make it a little less sticky
Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow, i didnt have any issues at all. i just threw my lenses in the oven, once it was cool i applied some painters tape i had sitting in my garage, then started painting, came out great.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
wow, i didnt have any issues at all. i just threw my lenses in the oven, once it was cool i applied some painters tape i had sitting in my garage, then started painting, came out great.
Murphy's law excluded you if you read the fine print.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn dude.. I bet you were screaming your username quite a few times.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

And other things
Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
...once it was cool...
Sounds like a key point there...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SKZ28
This

I got the "low adhesive" painters tape, stuck it on my jeans before applying it to the light, and even then I still had a couple small spots where it pulled off the reflective stuff
EXACTLY what I did. I'm actually painting my extra set tomorrow. They'll be for sale soon. But the low adhesive blue painters tape is the way to go. Not cheap, but good! I think it has a "2" on the scale of stickiness. Was something like $7 a roll.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

Here are some good tips:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...fect-pics.html
Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
EXACTLY what I did. I'm actually painting my extra set tomorrow. They'll be for sale soon. But the low adhesive blue painters tape is the way to go. Not cheap, but good! I think it has a "2" on the scale of stickiness. Was something like $7 a roll.
How much will you be selling for if you don't mind me asking? If I ditch these lights It would be cool to buy some already made for me.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 AM
TECH Junkie

hey 6LE when you get the extra set done how much you want for em. if you want PM me a price if not its cool
Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

started mine last night. No problems yet, but my can of krylon fusion said to apply "multiple light coats about 1 minute apart" and so far, it looks like it came out pretty good. I think i might ad another coat or two after work today. I also really need to restore my headlights while they are drying. Masking the reflective part was easily the biggest pain in the ***.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

HAHA yeah doing the Whistler is a pain in the *** and looks like **** most of the time... IMO

Quick Reply: I had ANOTHER whistler mishap...