Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

stripping paint off interior pieces

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stripping paint off interior pieces

i need to strip spray paint off of some interior parts what would be the best thing to use. the plastic bonding stuff wasnt used so it scratches off but that will take for ever. any ideas?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use any paint-removing chemicals, you will SCREW UP the pieces. If you do not feel like sanding them down, you will have to get new parts. I know it sucks, but sometimes you have to pay the price for making certain decisions. BTW, I'm speaking from personal experience, only I didn't sand them down. I just bought new/used pieces.

Last edited by SSG--Z28; 01-21-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would be better off to just re-paint the parts black.. maybe a nice gloss black that will look OEM but add a little contrast..

I dont think you will ever get the paint off without ruining the factory finish on the plastic.. good luck
Old 01-21-2004, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

thats what i was thinking steve goin to black i guess it cant hurt its already painted
Old 01-21-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DONT use paint removing chemicals. I tried it on one of my pieces to just see what it would do and it made the plstic really soft and completly ruined it. BTW what color did you paint them?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Red to go with the red badges on the SS well then i swapped them for the black and silver badges so now the red is kinda out of place
Old 01-22-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I painted one gloss black about a year ago with engine enamel (vents are in the sun A LOT and I use my heater all winter long, figured it wouldnt hurt) and it still has not come off and was very tough when I went to sand it. I bought all new trim pieces on ebay so I could still use my factory ones if I ever want to go back. The black to me looks really good and helps break away from the plastic look in our interior a little. I was originally going to paint them red but figured it would get old in about a week. I have one more piece to sand before I start to paint. Please let us know how everthing comes out.

-William
Old 01-22-2004, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

If the paint scratches off as you say it does,remove the parts and pressure wash them(around 3500-4000 psi,15* tip)this should remove the paint,if not there are aerosol strippers available for plastics that will safely remove the paint,then wash and rinse
Old 01-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Teching In

I've used steel wool and a little lacquer thinner to remove paint from interior plastic parts before. Didn't hurt them one bit, I thought the lacquer thinner might cause some damage, so I tried it on the back of some parts first and when that worked I used it on the entire part.

Quick Reply: stripping paint off interior pieces