Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

what is this called?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this called?

The piece of "weather strip" or rubber piece that is along the door and the window on the outside of teh car..Mine is faded and looks like sh$t! What is this piece called? and where might i buy a set of new ones?
Old 02-14-2004, 04:40 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go to your local dealer and order a set they are around $40 each.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

If I read your post right it would be belt molding-and dealership parts department
Old 02-14-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

take it off, and leave it off.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Default Belt moulding

How the heck do you get the belt moulding off without screwing it up?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-18-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

good question??? how do u get the molding off?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

test.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've done this job on several different f-bodies, and done it two different ways. one way involved using bug&tar remover and a hairdryer and lots of sun. <--trust me that you don't want to do it that way.

the best way is to buy some 3m adhesive remover from a hardware store. *most* hardware stores around your area won't carry this, but you may get lucky. if not, i would suggest ordering it online, because it makes this job MUCH easier. it's about $12 for about a gallon (which is enough for 10 cars).

this adhesive remover is pretty much paint thinner, only it doesn't thin the paint it would if you left it on your car for a while MAYBE, but it's made for this type of application.

1. park your car in the sun (obviously one side at a time). make sure it's a fairly warm day outside.
2. pour the adhesive remover between the cracks of the molding and the actual car. let it seep all through each piece of the molding. go ahead and do one coat on the other side of the car as well. it will run down your car and get all over everything - just don't worry about it, this stuff really won't hurt your paint.
3. next, after 2-3 minutes, do another coat on the sunny side of the car. try to peel off a corner piece of the molding. if it comes off easy, then do the rest of it. if it's tough, then do another coat and let it sit some more. the key here is not to tear the molding off, because that is easy. the key is to tear the molding off with the adhesive stuck to the back of it.
4. the long door piece is the toughest. no matter how many coats of adhesive remover, you probably won't get all of the adhesive to stick to the actual molding. you'll wind up peeling all of the molding off, and having about half of the adhesive still on the car. no worries, the worst thing that will happen is that you'll peel the skin off of your thumb from getting this off. don't use your fingernails or a razor, you'll scratch the paint. you can also use fishing line or dental floss to help, but i personally think the thumb works the best and the most efficiently. i was kidding about rubbing it raw - it may burn a little, but it isn't that bad.
5. next, make sure you have some bug&tar remover. there will still be small amounts of adhesive backing stuck to the car, and it will be somewhere underneath all of the dirt that somehow managed it's way underneath your molding also. spray the bug&tar remover all down the side of your car (where the molding was). let it sit another 30 seconds. wipe it off with a towel, and scrub the places were the adhesive backing is apparent. you're done.
6. repeat and do the other side.

one tip - when using your thumb or fishing line to get the extra molding off, i would suggest keeping the adhesive as dry as possible (don't put the adhesive remover or bug&tar remover on it), because when it's wet it's hard to work with.

wash your car when you are done to, so as to get the bug&tar and the adhesive remover off of your paint.

and btw, the molding that the first guy is referring to is something completely different. it seems he's talking about the weatherstripping that goes around the door and windows. i wouldn't suggest taking that off for any reason other than it's currently leaking or falling apart. these steps above are for the door trim, which seemed to be what the other guys later in the post seemed to be asking about.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

o boy! thats not what im talkin about. man im sorry guys! i see how when u read it you could get confused, but lets start there and move u the door about 15inches. Theres a molding there that runs along the window. it touches the window. what is THAT piece called and where could i get it?
Old 02-19-2004, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

i dont know, roll the window down and yank?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by heyitsTaJay
o boy! thats not what im talkin about. man im sorry guys! i see how when u read it you could get confused, but lets start there and move u the door about 15inches. Theres a molding there that runs along the window. it touches the window. what is THAT piece called and where could i get it?
How about a photo? No one seems to know what the heck yer talkin' about, ...
Old 02-19-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the rubber/felt "welting" strip between the operable glass nand the painted door panel. It the peice that the glas sort of slides up and down against when raising or lowering the window?
Old 02-19-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by heyitsTaJay
well damn. there is some info if you ever plan to remove that side molding for your car though
Old 02-19-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

I would definitely go down to your local auto parts store & pick up a bottle of Mothers Back -to - BLACK Exterior Bumper & Trim Care.

It is specially formulated to renew just the type of trim your are talking about with the same type of problem.

-Jay-
Old 02-20-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Sounds like the rubber/felt "welting" strip between the operable glass nand the painted door panel. It the peice that the glas sort of slides up and down against when raising or lowering the window?
yah thats it! Mine are F$$ked..look horrible on my car. Any idea where to get new ones? I tried the mothers stuff and it doesn't work.

Quick Reply: what is this called?