Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

headliners..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headliners..

been reading alot of the posts on here through the years and found where people put new fabric on the headliner themselves but didn't find many "how to's" or pictures of completed work. i just did mine and i am not very happy with my work.

those of you who have done it, how did you get the fabric to fit nicely around the curves of the t tops? how did you keep the foam backing plate from completely going to ****? i just did mine and reinstalled it and i am not completely pleased... it looks better than it did but could still use some work.. i need to use velcro to keep some areas tight to the roof...
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

i have a nice 99 headliner FS if this dosnt work out for you. pm me if interested
Old 03-08-2011, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

i doubt shipping would make it worth it though.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also tried to do my own headliner and like you, it turned out crappy exactly where you mentioned, around the curves of the headliner. I ended up CAREFULLY taking the fabric off and I took it to an upholster who did it for $80. I think he used some sort of heat to stretch the headliner around the curve.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

what sucks is the fabric stuck to the backing without major issues, but the backing itself is not holding a decent shape.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

I just did mine over the weekend and just made some straight cuts pointing at the curves and wrapped it right under. I think it turned out great? What kind of material and glue did you use?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

when you glue it down and roll it flat, flip it over and stretch the fabric a little, you have to do a series of very thin "pizza slice" looking cuts to get the contour right when going around the ttop curves... i did mine and its perfect. also the material youre using may have a directional grain, if this is crooked, it could cause problems with wrinkles but it really depends on the fabric.. Also, did you use a boars hair brush to clean off all the old foam **** from the original? that makes a huge difference in the look...
Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys should post pictures of what you're specifically talking about. I'm looking to recover mine soon. Mostly to match the new interior parts.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

I dont have any pics of mine but you can apply the same principle from wrapping a door panel. Like this but opposite...
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
when you glue it down and roll it flat, flip it over and stretch the fabric a little, you have to do a series of very thin "pizza slice" looking cuts to get the contour right when going around the ttop curves... i did mine and its perfect. also the material youre using may have a directional grain, if this is crooked, it could cause problems with wrinkles but it really depends on the fabric.. Also, did you use a boars hair brush to clean off all the old foam **** from the original? that makes a huge difference in the look...

i made a bunch of cuts at the turns, the problem is that you can see when the t tops are off. it also seemed to pull the backing a bit out of shape. didn't have issues with wrinkles or it not sticking just with the backing shape and corners

Originally Posted by Davey G
I just did mine over the weekend and just made some straight cuts pointing at the curves and wrapped it right under. I think it turned out great? What kind of material and glue did you use?
3m or whatever the orange can is that is 10 bucks at advance and micro suede from jo anne fabrics.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

most of the time the headliner core material is just baked and floppy... not much you can do about that.. if you pull too tight it changes the radius of the curve... I cut mine but my core was still rigid and fit nicely against the roof bar... if yours doesnt, its probably baked or has gotten wet at some point...
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

baked is likely it, i never use my t top covers. actually they haven't been in the car since i bought it lol. i'm gonna try some velcro to get the loose areas tight.