Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Intake not turning out right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake not turning out right?

Im painting an intake right now and at first it was turning out perfect but after a few more coats it keeps drying almost like a flat color or just really dull in certain spots. I primered it and did everything correctly. I havent put any clear on it yet. If I clear it would that take away the dull slots? Any ideas?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, try clear once you think your base coat is thick enough. Otherwise, give the dull areas a light scuffing, spray it again w/the color, then clear it...
Old 06-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it look like this ?:

After that, I had wet-sanded w/2000gt before clear, then sanded again after clear, used some fine cut cleaner & then a glaze polish & got this :

Since I am getting ready to add FRC's, I didn't focus on the anything else but the runners... After I get the FRC's, install them together, I'll be posting up all the pics..
Old 06-11-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

^ That looks damn good.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea it looks something like that I was told old paint can do it to. my can are about a year old. If you notice the far side is duller and the spots keep moving.

heres a pic of mine without clear on it:
Old 06-11-2011, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

should have sanded the casting marks/bubbles off the runners...
Old 06-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Duffster
should have sanded the casting marks/bubbles off the runners...
Old 06-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
^ That looks damn good.
Thanks, gonna be alot better here REAL soon! I'll post it all up here soon.

Originally Posted by parks450
yea it looks something like that I was told old paint can do it to. my can are about a year old. If you notice the far side is duller and the spots keep moving.

heres a pic of mine without clear on it:
Aside from the casting marks on the runners, looking good so far..How many color coats are you up to? I put 4 color coats on mine prior to wet sanding w/the 2000gt before the clear, & my 4th was so thick I got scared I was gonna get runs....
Old 06-11-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theirs five on it in the pic I just wet sanded it and hit a few spots of primer mostly on the top where the casting marks are and it smeared. The primer wasnt even dry completely. Should I wait a few days to let it dry completly then throw a coat to cover the white on it then clear. Or just paint it now and clear it then let it dry?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is doing the same thing. I plan on wet sanding with 1000 and then doing one more full color coat and then wet sanding with 2000 and start the clear.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Yeah, the casting high spots can get ya. How much time was between primer & color? Not sure what to say, give it at least another day or 2 to "cure", smooth out the smears, GET some new paint just to be safe, touch spray it up.. hope they smooth in, give a night to set, & sand/clean/paint the clear???

Patience, something I don't have, is so needed.. When I rushed a bit, I f-d up, but got lucky at the same time...

BTW, did you use an adhesion promoter before priming?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Prolly 3-4 hours, didnt use adhesion promoter. I used VHT ceramic header primer. It dries to the touch in 10 mins.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well its suppose to. Whats the brass fitting on the snout of your intake. Is that your egr hookup?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by parks450
Well its suppose to. Whats the brass fitting on the snout of your intake. Is that your egr hookup?
The timings they state is wrong, my primer said dry to sand in I think 30 minutes, & I went back after 45 , & was super tacky.. Just kept lots of water on the s/paper so as to not f*** it up.

Yeah, thats the EGR fitting. California emissions BS... I think I found the last existing brand new LS6 SLP modified intake in the country. Didn't want to modify one myself, & couldn't find anyone to do either. Took forever to find a company with it. Had cobwebs inside it too... Got pics of it, so when I post up all the photos after install, you'll see..

Good luck on the finish, can't wait to see the final pics.. with patience on this, it'll come out sweet. Don't sweat the casting marks on the top either, seen a few on here with them after finish, & they still look really good, it's all in the finish. I was still in a sanding frenzy after doing my brake calipers & figured why not.... If you get pissed with the finishing, search around on here, I remember seeing someone that I think powdercoats them, just not sure about stripping any paint off.

Quick Reply: Intake not turning out right?