Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need opinions on VFN Sonoco hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need opinions on VFN Sonoco hood

Hey guys, I'm thinking of installing the VFN Sonoco hood on my 4th gen camaro. The base one with no body line. I'm undecided on which one to get....the "bolton" or "pin-on" style. The car will be driven on the street but it will see a lot of track action. I'm trying to reduce as much weight as possible from the car, so that's the reason why I'm considering the "pin-on" style because it's 11lbs lighter.

Does anyone have experience with the pin-on style hood? Is it real flimsy and weak? I don't mind putting the pins on but I don't want to sacrafice the looks of the car. I don't want the hood to end up getting spider cracks because of the weak structure.

BTW, how much lighter is the Sonoco hood "bolt-on" compared to the factory SS hood?

Also, if you guys think of anything else I should know about these hoods, please feel free to post it.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the extended sunoco, pretty light and sturdy. rails are a pita!!!]

Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Captain Double Post

unless its for an all out drag car get the bolt on, imo 11 pounds can be made up else where, if your really going all out with cutting weight ok i get it, but if your not going to go all out you will never feel 11 pounds in a street car, i have the 3 inch ss hood, bolt on and that is really light,its just a pita to need 2 people just to get under your hood, there is tons of ways to cut your weight down, if your going to strip the car down get the pin on, if your just looking to lose a few pounds and not have a gutted race car its bolt on,ryan car looks great bud,really wanna see vids of that beast killing the track lol
Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
unless its for an all out drag car get the bolt on, imo 11 pounds can be made up else where, if your really going all out with cutting weight ok i get it, but if your not going to go all out you will never feel 11 pounds in a street car, i have the 3 inch ss hood, bolt on and that is really light,its just a pita to need 2 people just to get under your hood, there is tons of ways to cut your weight down, if your going to strip the car down get the pin on, if your just looking to lose a few pounds and not have a gutted race car its bolt on,ryan car looks great bud,really wanna see vids of that beast killing the track lol
I agree, I had the VFN 3" SS hood too and it was awesome, but that was before all the changes. Bob I will get vids as soon as I can make some passes, shouldnt be long!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pin-on hood is very light and well supported underneath. I've pulled my hood well over 100 times in the 8-9 months I've had it and have no issues with cracking or spider-webbing.

Old Sunoco and new Sunoco:

Old 09-27-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I think I'll be sticking to the bolt-on version. I'm actually cutting the car of all non-essential accessories. It's going to be a sleeper. I'll be pulling the dash board out this wknd to gut the inside. No A/C, P/S, Wipers, etc... I'm trying to cut the weight as close to 3000lbs as possible without it looking like a cutted street car.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Captain Double Post

good luck, if you do go with the sunoco the extended one is very nice and flows well with the car, and maybe check out some pics of one with the line, imo it looks freaking killer,ryan for sure cant wait to see the vids,you made some big changes this year,

Quick Reply: Need opinions on VFN Sonoco hood