Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

paint the interior??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used SEM to dye a tan dash grey in an 88 gmc truck about a year ago.

I highly recommend it. The dash was ruined. It was stained orange with clay, and had been vandalized with black spray paint, then painted over with a rattle can tan that didn't match the other parts of the dash.

At the same time, I used grey donor truck interior parts to match the dash and SEM sprayed them all. The interior looked like a brand new factory grey interior. I HIGHLY recommend it... along with bulldog adhesion promoter and SEM's cleaner to make sure the plastics are completely clean.

The adhesion promoter is only needed on "soft" parts like arm rests and the dash mat, because it's flexible, it keeps it from cracking or separating.

I also tried duplicolor's product. I do NOT recommend this. Worked horribly. Didn't adhere properly.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
I used SEM to dye a tan dash grey in an 88 gmc truck about a year ago.

I highly recommend it. The dash was ruined. It was stained orange with clay, and had been vandalized with black spray paint, then painted over with a rattle can tan that didn't match the other parts of the dash.

At the same time, I used grey donor truck interior parts to match the dash and SEM sprayed them all. The interior looked like a brand new factory grey interior. I HIGHLY recommend it... along with bulldog adhesion promoter and SEM's cleaner to make sure the plastics are completely clean.

The adhesion promoter is only needed on "soft" parts like arm rests and the dash mat, because it's flexible, it keeps it from cracking or separating.

I also tried duplicolor's product. I do NOT recommend this. Worked horribly. Didn't adhere properly.
x2 That's what i used and i hate it.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if when I get home comcast has fixed their ****, I'll post pics. It was down this morning and my instant messenger hasn't pinged, telling me it probably hasn't come back. It better be when I get home!

it turned out really well. Until I sold the truck for $200 like an idiot.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

http://sem.ws/Catalog.asp?prod=190
Color: 15013 Landau Black 16oz Aerosol
Don't forget Satin Clear Coat to protect and cut gloss a bit. Use satins wherever possible as glare can be a killer.
I went to a Sherwin Williams automotive paint store to get the SEM, and discussed with the rep. He sold me a 3M product for cleaning prior to paint, and then an adhesion promoter that goes on prior to the dye. Clear coat is your friend for long-term durability. I liked the look so much, I even sprayed some pieces I bought that were ebony from the factory. The interior looks really good in my picky opinion.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-interior.html

it still looks great almost a year later
Old 11-20-2011, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

I sprayed my WS6's interior from gray to black when I had it. I didn't even remove the dash, just masked everything off, it came out perfect. Just uh.. don't try to dye your seats.

I used Duplicolor and Rustoleum interior paint. Wasn't glossy or anything.

I broke my dash pad, don't mind the blanket

Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I changed my grey interior to cobalt using the SEM products...love it...

Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Teching In

I really like your red accent to it(gauges heat *****, ect.). Did you buy those like that? Or is that painted somehow?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

I'm looking to add some SOM touches to the interior of my car. Can anyone tell me how I should go about it? Can I get som interior paint anywhere? Or even if it doesn't say interior paint on it is there any paint that would work?

Quick Reply: paint the interior??