Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interior question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior question

Hello,
I`m relativly new to this forum and I have a interior question. I do not currently own a LS1 powered vehicle but I am looking at SS Camaros. I recently looked at a pewter 2001 SS with what I would call a cloth charcoal colored interior. My question concerns the look and feel of the panels, Do cars with leather interiors have nicer panels? In my honest opinion everything inside the car looked and felt cheap. I like the exterior styling and the drivetrain, but my 1995 Silverado interior just seems nicer and my MarkVIII that I`m thinking about getting rid of flat out blows it away in the interior department. So the question is, Do any of the SS Camaros have a decent interior? This wasn`t meant to offend anyone ,just an honest question.

Last edited by rooster1969; 01-07-2008 at 01:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2008, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trans Ams have nicer seats

But yes, the leather interior cars are much nicer.

I had a 01 Z28 with the cloth charcoal interior...and on the seats and door panels it looked like some fruity flower design. Everyone laughed at it
Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The leather interior have nicer seats...the rest is basically the same. Even the nicer TA interior is not as nice as in, lets say, its 1980 GTAs. Those were crowded with lots of useless luxury things, were cool though.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate you T/A guys! mean looking f*cking cars with nice interiors.. lol
but yeah the T/A have a much nicer looking interior than the camaro.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

With Chicago weather, I'd take cloth interior over my leather any day. Sure it looks nicer, but when your car is your DD all year round, you prefer cloth for warmth in winter, and cool in summer.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Well Thank you to all that have answered so far. My preference is cloth, due to the whole winter summer thing with leather. I don`t drive my Lincoln much at all but on warm days it gets warm and on cold days it`s like sitting on a block of ice til the seat heater kicks in.
Are there a lot of squeeks and rattles?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

With f-bodies that comes standard! Some more than others.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard that TA seats are nicer, I have an 01 WS6, my mom has an 01 SS, and I also own a 94Z28, all have leather and the most comfortable by far is the 94. Doesnt bother me though...neither will keep up with my WS6.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine doesnt sqeak or rattle, and it just hit 100k.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
Mine doesnt sqeak or rattle, and it just hit 100k.
Mine dont also. I know some do however.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Mine squeaks every now and then, but it's rare. My Z is going to hit 103k now also.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Mine squeaks every now and then, but it's rare.
That sounded weird! LOL!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

My car is weird! Its been my guinea pig since I got it with all the stuff I've found myseriously put on it when I bought it. It'll squeak, I'll lower the radio.... and never squeak again lol
Old 01-07-2008, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rooster1969
Hello,
I recently looked at a pewter 2001 SS with what I would call a cloth charcoal colored interior. My question concerns the look and feel of the panels, Do cars with leather interiors have nicer panels? In my honest opinion everything inside the car looked and felt cheap. So the question is, Do any of the SS Camaros have a decent interior? This wasn`t meant to offend anyone ,just an honest question.
Welcome to LS1tech, and no offense taken. The Camaro's with cloth seats have cloth "inserts" on the door panels. The ones with "leather" (which is obviously not real leather) have leather door panel "inserts". Here is a picture of my interior, I have the tan interior so the UPPER tan part on the door panel is the insert I am talking about:

Camaro's have different interiors than their Pontiac counterparts (including Trans Ams, Firebirds, Firebird Formula's). If you do a search here for some pictures you can see that the dash and door panels are different between Chevy and Pontiac. The radios are different if you plan on keeping the factory stereo system. Trans Ams also have better seats, they have lumbar support and both seats are electronically adjustable (versus just the driver's side on the Camaro's).

Now, I am not sure how car savvy you are, but a lot of members here on LS1tech are planning on/have already upgraded the interior panels. They are plastic, look and feel cheap, no one here will deny that. Several members are covering these plastic panels with leather like vinyl for a much nicer feel and look. This takes some time and skill to do, although a member here "toofazt" sells a kit with the vinyls precut for your interior. The end result is a much nicer interior, probably the biggest downfall of these cars.

Originally Posted by rooster1969
Well Thank you to all that have answered so far. My preference is cloth, due to the whole winter summer thing with leather. I don`t drive my Lincoln much at all but on warm days it gets warm and on cold days it`s like sitting on a block of ice til the seat heater kicks in.
There can be. But there are a lot of adjustments that can be made to get rid of the squeeks and rattles. This involves locating the rattles and squeeks and fixing the problem, whether that may be to add some foam in an interior panel so it doesn't rub, or lubing up some suspension items so they no longer squeak. Every rattle/squeak can be fixed, it may take some time to do it though.

Also, if you upgrade the chassis with say, a strut tower brace and some sub frame connectors, squeaks and rattles will be minimized/non existent.

These cars are great for people who like a fast car with nice looks for a low price. But the interior needs some work, and if you aren't the type of person that enjoys working on or upgrading the car then I would say these are probably not for you. These cars respond very well to modifications regarding speed, interior, handling, etc etc despite what you may have read in reviews they can excel at each or all when set up correctly. They are pretty easy to learn on too even if you know nothing about cars in general, and LS1tech is a great resource for people to come and ask questions. To someone who doesn't work on or upgrade their cars such as a magazine reviewer or something, the interior is dismal, the handling is sub par and the thought of modifying the car to fix these problems has probably never entered their minds. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

a member here "toofazt" sells a kit with the vinyls precut for your interior
Thats good to know!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Once again, Thanks to everyone. The pics were very good and that interior is sharp, I like the color. I just want to try and get the most for my dollars,as I am by no means rich.lol. My current toy is like a bank vault when the windows are up, and with the moonroof open there is surprisingly not much noise.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Default need new leather!

ok so i bought my car in florida and my 2 front seats are beat from the sun. 2 mean rips in the middle... i need new skins for them and a new steering wheel... any good sites to get stock ash gray skins and wheel??? thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Welcome to NIGHT OF THE LIVING THREAD.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think you can source new OEM seat covers. However, if you are feeling spunky and wanna try your hand, read this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...pics-come.html
Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I don't think you can source new OEM seat covers. However, if you are feeling spunky and wanna try your hand, read this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...pics-come.html
Thats right. There is no OEM upholstery available. Thats a nice thread. You can also follow thius one for some additional or complementary info:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ry-my-car.html

Quick Reply: Interior question