Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smoothed LS1 valve covers (PICS UPDATE POST #27)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smoothed Valve Covers

Thanks Loren!

I also want to thank the OP for giving us the idea to do this mod. After themealonwheels and I decided to tackle this I got it in my head that I wanted to powder-coat the valve covers instead of painting. I like the idea of having the durability of powder-coating on as many parts as I can on my car. (plus it gave me an excuse to tinker with a new toy).

The problem we ran into is that standard JB Weld isn't rated to withstand baking at 400* for extended periods of time. After the first time the patches rose, we went and picked up some high temp JB Weld (rated at sustained temps of 450*). Well, it didn't rise as bad as the original JB Weld, but it did lift slightly and slightly discolored the powder directly over the patches.

After researching every powder-coating forum I could find online, I found that there are two products that most of the guys recommend: AllMetal and Alvin's Lab Metal (Hi temp and regular versions). After researching each product I decided to order the hi temp version of the Lab Metal (regular is rated at 450*, just like the JB Weld).

Yes, Loren, It is on order and I will get the covers PERFECT!

Here are a couple of pictures of the valve covers:

On the second picture you can see the slight discoloration over the patched area of the cover.
Attached Thumbnails Smoothed LS1 valve covers (PICS UPDATE POST #27)-image1.jpg   Smoothed LS1 valve covers (PICS UPDATE POST #27)-image2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the process of doing this. Can't wait to see it finished
Attached Thumbnails Smoothed LS1 valve covers (PICS UPDATE POST #27)-img_0839.jpg   Smoothed LS1 valve covers (PICS UPDATE POST #27)-img_0840.jpg  

Quick Reply: Smoothed LS1 valve covers (PICS UPDATE POST #27)