Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some custom CME Tips made...any fabricators wanna help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some custom CME Tips made...any fabricators wanna help?

I posted this on LTXTech as well and there is a member there who is working on an idea for the design, but I thought I would throw it up here and see what happens.

I am going to be purchasing a CME Rear Valence from 6LE but I HATE all of the CME tips I have found so far. I have an idea but NOONE makes them, and no-one big name WANTS to...not cost effective or practical...so I ask for any help from anyone out there that knows how to fab metal and weld. They will have to be made out of Stainless Steel most likely because I want to be able to polish them after they are done.

First thing is first...90% of my exhaust system is for LEGAL purposes only...I am doing a true dual setup that is as follows: LPP LT Headers, to 3" Electric Cutouts, to 2.5" Reducer, to 2.5" X-Pipe, to 2.5" pipe routed side by side over axle, to 2.5" dual in/dual out Magnaflow Muffler, to 2.5" pipes out to 2.5" CME Tips.

The system after the cutouts is only to keep me legal on the street so I want to make it at least look good...so these tips are NOT for ANY sort of performance, only appearance, so keep that in mind. If I need performance, I will just open the cutouts haha.

I want my tips to flow perfectly with my CME Valance...I hate tips that hang down below the bottom of the Valance and don't seem to flow...UNFORTINATELY, this may be restrictive, but I will manage.

The measurements of the actual CME Valance are:

23" Wide (from flat edge to flat edge, not counting the curved corner)
2 1/2" High (from top of CME cutout, to bottom of valance)

I want the bottom to be flush with the valance, and the upper corners to be curved with the shape. I also want it to be in tight and hugging the cutout edges, SO, here is what I came up with for the design of the tips. This is ASSUMING we use 1/8" thickness material.

Gap between Tips and Valance (all 3 sides): 1/8"
Gap between Tips in center: 1/8"
Width of Tips from outside edge to outside edge (overall width): 22 3/4"
Width of one Tip from outside edge to outside edge (individual tip): 11 5/15" each
Width of one Tip from inside edge to inside edge (individual tip): 11 1/16" each
Height of Tips from outside edge to outside edge (applies to both): 2 1/8"
Height of tips from inside edge to inside edge (applies to both): 1 7/8"

Remember, this is ASSUMING we use 1/8" Thickness material. Overall width of the tips regardless of the material thickness will end up at 22 3/4" and the height will be 2 1/8". This ensures an 1/8" gap all the way around the CME tips, while keeping the bottom flush. There also needs to be an 1/8" gap between the tips to ensure there is no rattling. Take these factors into consideration when fabricating, and make adjustments for the thickness of the material...OR, send me the thickness of the material and I will make the adjustments for you if needed. There also needs to be a piece of metal attached to the TOP of the tips to maintain the gap and turn the pair into a single item. I did NOT take into account the severity of the curve in the top outer corners because I do not have a CME to judge it by, so we may have to use the naked eye for basic fabrication and go from there.

I Photoshopped a couple of pictures using a set of 6LE CME Tips...one is the style of tips I want...the other is the tips I want on a photo of a car with the Valance I want to give you an idea of what I want...anyone willing to take this on?? Any thoughts or feedback?? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Need some custom CME Tips made...any fabricators wanna help?-imag0287.jpg   Need some custom CME Tips made...any fabricators wanna help?-cme.jpg   Need some custom CME Tips made...any fabricators wanna help?-newcmeinstalled.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a reason our clearances aren't that close, you'd melt the valance.

Also, first tips my guy did were small like you wanted...

Height of tips from inside edge to inside edge (applies to both): 1 7/8"

Sounds HORRIBLE going from 2.5" to that size with a flat tip let alone a 3" pipe.

Looks really cool though.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Sound and melting is me saying why we didn't do them. I know it would have no weight on your decision.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm, are you aware that 1/8" thick stainless is gonna weigh like 10 pounds!? What you want 18 GAUGE stainless. I do like your design idea though. I myself kinda have a pet peeve with the 6LE tips. They don't have that slight curve to them that follows the curvature of the bumper. It just kinda messes with my ocd...lmao! Other than that, 6LE is your ONLY source for various CME tip designs.

Quick Reply: Need some custom CME Tips made...any fabricators wanna help?