Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drilling the factory gauge cluster??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drilling the factory gauge cluster??

I recently bought a McCord electric cutout that comes with an LED to tell you when its opened or closed. I want to do an install that looks factory, I dont want a light on my console or in my ashtray. I had an idea to drill a hole in my gauge cluster and mount it there. It is only going to be 1/4 inch hole. I found a place that looks like it will fit in the lower righthand coner near the gas gauge. Before I pull the gauges, could I damage the cluster by drilling a hole in it? I know if I drill a circuit it will damage it but if I find a place that doesnt have a wire running trough it will it be okay? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It could be done, but you'd have to take it out and find a sport where you'd miss the circuit board.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=CW01WS6]I recently bought a McCord electric cutout that comes with an LED to tell you when its opened or closed. I want to do an install that looks factory, I dont want a light on my console or in my ashtray.

I have the Mccord MPP2 also, if you mount your LED there, where is your switch? The LED wires are not very long, did you make them longer?
Old 01-06-2005, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Yes I am planning to make the wires longer. The switch is mounted in front of the cup holder. I actually looks like a factory piece there. (at least I think so)
Old 01-06-2005, 11:01 PM

take out the skip shift light and drill a hole and put it right there, its in the bottom right corner, would be a great spot for it!! just rip the skip shift LED off the board, its simple!