Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Frost King Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frost King Install

Well I tore the interior out of my car this weekend and layed down some Frost King Insulation. I covered every square inch of metal inside my car. I put two layers over the wheel wells and behind the back seat, but I can still hear my gear whine a little and my exhaust pretty well though. It was able to tell difference, but I guess I was hoping for a miracle. I can say that road noise is very quiet now. I'm thinking about doubling up the insulation in the hatchback area over the axle and see if that will help with the gear whine more.
It ended up taking me seven rolls of insulation to do everything. It was a fairly easy process and probably only took me 12 hours from start to finish. I obviously got some old rolls of insulation that stuck together, so that added probably two hours of me with a hair dryer trying to heat and pull it apart without ripping it. Only three rolls did this and the other four pulled apart very easily. I have to find a way to muffle the noise from my engine now. Guess I'm gonna try some more insulation under the dash area. Over all, I would recommend this for anyone wanting a little quieter ride.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

how heavy is it? i dont want to add another 50 - 60 extra pounds or something
Old 01-05-2005, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Each roll of it was probably only 3-4lbs, so I added at most 25 lbs (couldn't use the innermost insulation as it was stuck to the carboard center and didn't use all of the last roll). Probably more like 15-20 lbs after everything. You could take out your spare tire, and jack and make up for most of it if you really just had to lose the weight.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

its not that i HAVE to loose wait...but you said you werent completely happy, and i dont want to gain unnecessary weight...
Old 01-05-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B-Quiet Extreme is what I used...
100 sq. ft for $99
30lbs

And does it make a difference, "You better believe it!"
Old 01-06-2005, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Well I didn't mean it like you HAVE to, I just meant if you go to the track and have to drop a few pounds, the spare tire could make up the difference. Putting it in did make a difference. I wish I could hear how a someone's car sounded with the B-quiet. I was just saying that it wasn't as much of a difference as I had hoped. It may be just as good as the other B-quiet, but if the B-quiet is proven, It may be worth buying that instead. The price diffence is about the same. I just got the Frost King because I could buy it off of the shelf without having to order it.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you will find that any dampening product like B-Quiet is what will make the biggest difference. The Frost King helps decouple the car floor from the air in the cabin because the membrane does a lot of blocking. Unfortunately fibreglass that makes good thermal insulation does not make the best sound absorber. If you go buy sound insulation for your house its more dense than thermal insulation (its also not as good at blocking heat). Thermal insulation puts just enough material in a space to keep the air from flowing.

The best absorber is more like a foam with a backing since there is much more material to absorb the sound, unlike fibreglass.

The Frost King stuff won't really dampen any of the active panels in the car, just muffle them somewhat. You want the stuff you used to cover broad areas. For a dampener you do not need to plaster every square inch of a panel to get it to work (despite the fact every one likes to do just that), the areas that are reinforced near welds or ribs won't change at all with a dampener. The thin boomy portions are all that need dampener.

If you go back in and selectively add some dampener you will really notice a big difference.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

I think I may order some b-quiet and try that out just to see how big the difference is. I was thinking about going back in and doubling up in a few more places anyway.

Quick Reply: Frost King Install