Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Gauge Cluster Lens & Bezel, do they come apart?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Gauge Cluster Lens & Bezel, do they come apart?

I found this pic and was wondering if they come apart or are they glued or plastic welded together.
Attached Thumbnails Gauge Cluster Lens & Bezel, do they come apart?-gauge-lens-bezel.jpg.jpe  
Old 12-10-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering how to do yhis also cause i have an billet overlay to go over the black part but i dont want to break it..... so any help would be great
Old 12-10-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if you coyuld dremel it apart.....kinda brute force..but it work
Old 12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Comes apart.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone have any pics of the two pieces seperate?

Can I just buy the bezel piece for my Camaro?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Comes apart.

Mine was glued....
Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Yes they are seperate pieces.

Yes you can buy just the bezel, or the plastic seperate. www.macewenmotorsports.com
Old 04-10-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Back from the dead... (Forgot about this mod)

I just called the dealer and they can't get the black bezel piece.

How does this guy get them? I haven't tried MacEwen Motorsports yet. Is this guy easy to deal with?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

sure by now he has his own molded, but dealer can get them, keep trying to find a good parts guy.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well, the Camaro version aparently comes apart (i.e. the clear lens is seperate from the rest of the bezel) However, the T/A version is NOT. The clear plastic lens is welded/glued to the black plastic backing.

If anyone knows of a way to seperate the (2) without trashing either/both - I'd be glad to here it! I already tried dremel - but the way the edges are stepped and lock into one another - it is almost impossible to cut them apart without damaging both

Obviously, I'm also trying to find a way to install a brushed finished stainless steel bezel over the stock black part on my T/A
Old 06-20-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Well, the Camaro version aparently comes apart (i.e. the clear lens is seperate from the rest of the bezel) However, the T/A version is NOT. The clear plastic lens is welded/glued to the black plastic backing
Every Firebird I've done,they just seperate. You take out the 4 screws Then clips are at each top side and there is 2 clips on each side on the bottom.

Yours may have been apart before and got broke. So the probably glued it back together.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Every Firebird I've done,they just seperate. You take out the 4 screws Then clips are at each top side and there is 2 clips on each side on the bottom.

Yours may have been apart before and got broke. So the probably glued it back together.
No, on newer TA's .. 97 and up I bet. They are FUSED VERY WELL together. Believe me, mine is and has NEVER been messed with by anyone else.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think he's thinking of seperating the lens/trim bezel assembly from the ip cluster itself. Matches his description exactly for 98's on up.

The link to Mac isn't right either. What they are selling is a lens only for 93-96 Camaro's, and a full lens/bezel assembly for 98-up Firebirds. The parts are much different.

98 up - All cars have a black plastic shroud sonic welded to the lens itself. Camaros don't have all the nice gauge surrounds - there are just two little corner trims. Those ebay bezels are really designed to be used with Camaro clusters as a way to liven them up.

The firebird lens/trim bezels include what is effectively a black overlay already, which looks much nicer than the Camaro ones and can also be used on the Camaro clusters.

Far as seperating the trim bezel from the lens, there is no easy solution. I think it would be nearly impossible to not end up with a total hack job.

If you want to use that overlay in a Firebird, you could just buy a Camaro lens and use it with that. But it may even be more complicated than that, because the Firebird needle stops are in the bezel, whereas the Camaro's are in the ip cluster. So there is another kink in the road.

Don't trash your Firebird lens because it is a $60 part.

In the end you should probably just sell the damn thing, it's really meant for Camaro guys and our boring clusters. If you want to dress up your cluster get some overlays - white overlays with the Firebird bezel looks very nice.

Last edited by todddchi; 06-20-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Teching In

FYI,

Only 93-96 Firebird (mech. odometer) cars have bezels which are separarable via screws.

The latemodel (97-02) Firebird lens we offer is indeed clear and black plastic fused installed and sold as one part. I have tried to separate them, but it simply will not happen cleanly (breakage).

If a billet insert is made for Camaro, it may be used in a Camaro if you hot-knife (recommend) or dremel out opening in Firebird lens/bezel to accomodate it. However, care should be taken on these cut edges if they are visible.

97-02 Firebird lens/bezel are NOT seperable without cutting... Even then, still not cleanly.

-Ryan MEM
Old 06-25-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MacEwen
FYI,

Only 93-96 Firebird (mech. odometer) cars have bezels which are separarable via screws.

The latemodel (97-02) Firebird lens we offer is indeed clear and black plastic fused installed and sold as one part. I have tried to separate them, but it simply will not happen cleanly (breakage).

If a billet insert is made for Camaro, it may be used in a Camaro if you hot-knife (recommend) or dremel out opening in Firebird lens/bezel to accomodate it. However, care should be taken on these cut edges if they are visible.

97-02 Firebird lens/bezel are NOT seperable without cutting... Even then, still not cleanly.

-Ryan MEM

Interesting.......
Old 06-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

I ran into this problem when installing my bezel overlay. We're talking about 2 pieces of plastic. There has got to be some way to seperate the two. I tried with a cutting tool and totally screwed mine up. I'm now looking for a whole new cluster (or bezel if I can find one sold seperately.) But I'm stubborn and want this installed in my car so I plan trying again. Someone has to have some knowledge on how to cleanly seperate the two parts.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Why doesnt my trans am have the bezel? Its a 96
Old 06-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Teching In

They cannot separate without breakage or CUTTING.

New 97-02 TA lens/bezel(s) are available from vendors like myself.

The 1996 and earlier TA's do not have an inner framework (bezel) as in later models. As to WHY? Who could answer!? It doesn't. However a modified 97+ TA lens/bezel can be fitted to earlier 93-96 birds. It has been trimmed and notched to fit earlier models. However it will cover up icons (symbols) for four smaller volt, gas, temp, and oil smaller gauges.

-Ryan MEM
Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Teching In

I just bought mine and was trying to separate the bezel from the clear lens with no success yet. I tried a blow dryer and tooth floss, razor blade, small flat head screw driver, even through it in the oven for about 4 minutes but the glue that it looks like it is held on by would not soften up.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Are we talking about the clear plastic piece that encloses the gauges being removed? I was going to tackle this feat on saturday. Is there really no clean way to do it?

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Lens & Bezel, do they come apart?