Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

educate me

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default educate me

Typically when I "detail" my car i wash it then just apply a wax(was using gold class, used nxt today) But after reading some of the post in here is seems like I should be doing more. So whats the best way to detail it so that it last longer?/looks better?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not experienced by any means, but this is what I do when I think the car needs a fresh clean:

1. Wash w/ dishwashing liquid to strip
2. Claybar (at this point, the car's paint looks like ***!)
3. Meguiar's Gold Class Wash (yes, I wash it twice)
4. Polish
5. Cleaner wax
6. Meguiar's Gold Class wax
7. Touch-ups with quick detailer

If you just wash your car and apply wax, at least use a claybar in between. You may be trapping contaminants between your clear coat and your new layer of wax.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I just ordered one of these and can't wait to try it out.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Launching!

I don't always do all the right steps either, I simply don't have the time. Usually I wash mine, then polish, then wax. A few time a year it gets the clay bar, other times it gets a paint cleaner. I once spent 11 hours doing my car, looked fantastic when the sun was up the next day, because by the time I was done it was night and I was too damn tired to drive it anywhere. If you are going to just wash and then grab one bottle, pick up the polish and not the wax because wax is just a sealant, polish has all the "vitamins" your paint needs to stay healthy.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
I'm not experienced by any means, but this is what I do when I think the car needs a fresh clean:

1. Wash w/ dishwashing liquid to strip
2. Claybar (at this point, the car's paint looks like ***!)
3. Meguiar's Gold Class Wash (yes, I wash it twice)
4. Polish
5. Cleaner wax
6. Meguiar's Gold Class wax
7. Touch-ups with quick detailer

If you just wash your car and apply wax, at least use a claybar in between. You may be trapping contaminants between your clear coat and your new layer of wax.
Why would you polish the car before using the cleaner wax? your kinda defeating the purpose of polishing.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was told that polish should always go before any coat of wax, because it isn't as effective if you have it on top of a coat of wax. Is that correct?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my routine for a full detail. My car only gets this once a year with maybe 2 or 3 washings in between. Keep in mind I put about 2500-3500 miles on a year and it never sees rain or snow.

1) Wash with Dawn mixed with rubbing alcohol (90%)and water (Alcohol is the only way to get Zaino off from what I've read)
2.) I do not dry car.
3.) Claybar entire car.
4.) Wash again with Zaino car wash
5.) Dry completely. I use micorfiber towels. I do not use a blower because I've seen blowers damage paint by throwing small particles. Make sure no water spots are still on paint.
6.) Apply Zaino Z1 so thin you can barely see it
7.) Apply Zaino Z5 right on top of the Z1.
8.) Wait anywhere from 2 hours to overnight depending on the temperature.
9.) Wipe off Z1/Z5 then buff by hand with microfiber towel.
10.) I let my car sit for another 6+ hours before applying the next coat
11.) Apply Z2 in a thin layer and allow to dry.
12.) Wipe off Z2 and buff car by hand.
13.) I normally repeat step 12 at least 5 more times.

It takes me a week to do my whole routine. When I was employed I would get 6 weeks off a year and I would normally take a week in May off to accomplish the above. I also should mention that when I first bought my car I wet sanded the entire car as orange peel makes me nuts.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

uhh, polish will strip your wax if it has any abbrasives in it I believe... so putting on wax before polish is pointless.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trojan35
uhh, polish will strip your wax if it has any abbrasives in it I believe... so putting on wax before polish is pointless.
Right, the polish is intended to fix slight imperfections in the paint, the wax just acts as a sealant.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Louie83
Right, the polish is intended to fix slight imperfections in the paint, the wax just acts as a sealant.
That's what I thought. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm somewhat in steves boat, I just wash the car using meguiars gold class car wash, then dry, and then I will wax the car with gold class, i do this about once a month when waxing.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackbirdls1
I'm somewhat in steves boat, I just wash the car using meguiars gold class car wash, then dry, and then I will wax the car with gold class, i do this about once a month when waxing.
Yup that is typicaly what i have been doing ever month or so. Last year I used the gold class this year I got the nxt. I dont have a garage to its hard to spend that much time just to have dust/rain/pollen etc get all over the car in a matter of hours I may pick up a carport this week. If I do ill wash with dawn, clay bar, wash with car wash, use a polish of some sort(still not sure what to use) then a coat or 2 of NXT.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:47 AM
FormerVendor

It is truly simple to keep paint looking good, and feeling good to the touch.

1) Simply wash the car with soap and a sponge
2) Dry the car by any means of choice
3) Most important step: CLAYBAR the entire car. This may take a while, but it will be worth it, and you can actually feel one hell of a difference with the back of your hand. I suggest the Mother's claybar kit.
4) Go over the entire car again and look for clay residue left on the vehicle's paint. Use a clean chamois, and rub they clay off with the chamois.
5) Wax the car with any wax you prefer. Because you have clayed the car, it will look and feel as smooth as glass.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dragonZ28

3) Most important step: CLAYBAR the entire car. This may take a while, but it will be worth it, and you can actually feel one hell of a difference with the back of your hand. I suggest the Mother's claybar kit.
4) Go over the entire car again and look for clay residue left on the vehicle's paint. Use a clean chamois, and rub they clay off with the chamois.
5) Wax the car with any wax you prefer. Because you have clayed the car, it will look and feel as smooth as glass.
Now after all this, what should the cleaning inbetween belike? Once a week with a normal car wash? Spray detailer as needed?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by steves97z28
Now after all this, what should the cleaning inbetween belike? Once a week with a normal car wash? Spray detailer as needed?
The longer you go in between, the more harmful it is to your clearcoat. The dirt and dust in the air gets embedded into your clear, and if you have the time, it is best to clay it whenever you can to get this stuff off your paint. Once a month should be more than enough, but you may be able to stretch it out to every other month so long as you keep dust from building on the car.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

my two cents.

use a good lambs wool or chenile wash mitt, not a sponge. Sponges can scratch
use a waffle weave microfiber towel, or leaf blower. some people like an absorber. don't use normal terry cloth towels, or bath towels from the house.
good suggestion .. but unless the car is really trashed .. you usually only need to clay the horizontal surfaces. claying the rest doesn't hurt, but not always necessary
quik detailer and a microfiber, or a little bit of cleaner wax is a much better way to remove any clay residue. a Chamois has no nap, and if there is any dirt or other particles left in the residue, it will scratch your paint.

choose a good quality wax or sealant, and use it correctly, and often. claying will make a big difference in the finished product.

there is lots of info available here, and on various other forums on the net .. read, and learn ..

this is just just one man's opinion.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gipraw
my two cents.

use a good lambs wool or chenile wash mitt, not a sponge. Sponges can scratch
use a waffle weave microfiber towel, or leaf blower. some people like an absorber. don't use normal terry cloth towels, or bath towels from the house.
good suggestion .. but unless the car is really trashed .. you usually only need to clay the horizontal surfaces. claying the rest doesn't hurt, but not always necessary
quik detailer and a microfiber, or a little bit of cleaner wax is a much better way to remove any clay residue. a Chamois has no nap, and if there is any dirt or other particles left in the residue, it will scratch your paint.

choose a good quality wax or sealant, and use it correctly, and often. claying will make a big difference in the finished product.

there is lots of info available here, and on various other forums on the net .. read, and learn ..

this is just just one man's opinion.
This sounds like good advice. How long does it usually take to go through this process?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bone324
This sounds like good advice. How long does it usually take to go through this process?
amount of time varies greatly, depending on the condition of the vehicle .. for example .. I can clay my TA in about an hour, since it has been properly taken care of for a few years .. the claying is basically just maintenance. in contrast, I worked on my mother's '95 Caddy a couple of weeks ago, and it took me almost 3 hours just to clay the trunk deck, due to all of the contamination, including overspray, etc.

Once the claying is done, you can wash and dry the car in under an hour .. then get to waxing. Depending again on condition, and tools being used .. it varies.

to do it correctly, especially on a neglected, or first time car, can take several hours .. on a well taken car of car , a couple of hours can be enough.

also depends on how many beverage breaks you take, and what kind of beverage you are drinking
Old 05-21-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

It also depends on where you are detailing your car. I have to do mine at the base's wand car wash place (I just park it in there and use their water ). Because it's outside and Idaho is infamous for pollen, dust, and other things high-desert wind likes to throw around, it takes me a while to get the car claybared right. I do the car all over, and give the horizontal surfaces a second round. I've toyed with the idea of running individual sections of my car through the whole process to reduce contamination, but that would take even more time. Opinions?

Also, in between coats of wax, I have break out the California duster. It's that bad over here!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dragonZ28

Thats all I do. In between just wash and apply polish as needed. Clay bar twice a year. IMHO

Quick Reply: educate me