Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Tips needed ASAP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting Tips needed ASAP!!!!

Hey guys, i just recently got the y3f package, and im painting them myself, i just put filler primer down and i need to know if i should sand or wet sand. After that i have black primer then black base then clear.

thanks

kevin
Old 07-30-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?!?!?!?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I spray the filler primer/high build primer, then dry sand it, then spray again till I am satisfied with the smoothness. Once I am satisfied, I`ll spray one more coat and wetsand that coat. I move on to my finish coats from there. I`m not sure why you are spraying a black primer over the filler primer unless it is a sealer, which isn`t really neccassary. What is a y3f?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

y3f is the sport appearance package for stock camaros.............i am spraying black over the filler primer because i heard its better to get primer that is close to the color you are painting........can u paint over filler primer? its gray and im using black paint.

kevin
Old 07-30-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, you can paint over it. It`s best to use the gray and not go over it with black because your not going to know if your covering the parts well enough if the primer under is black. Several light coats of the finish paint, not one heavy coat. Don`t worry if the first or second coat hasn`t quite covered the primer. It usually only takes about 3 coats to get the part fully covered in paint. What kind of paint are you using?
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

so im better off sanding off the filler paint, adding another coat, then shooting the black base? Im using duplicolor
Old 07-30-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

You don`t sand it completely off. You sand it with a block until the filler primer fills in all the low spots. High spots will cause you to break through the primer to reveal underneath it. You do that until you don`t have any high or low spots anymore. Then spray one final coat and wetsand it. Then you can move on to your finish paint. Sometimes you may have to skim the low spots with a body filler, ie bondo. The best way of telling you have filled all the low spots and don`t have any high spots anymore is to use a guide coat over your primer. A guide coat is just that. You, what I like to call dust, spray a very and I mean very light coat of say black paint on sporadically over your part your painting, then sand that off. Any areas that still have the guide coat on after you finished sanding will still be there. Those are low spots that still need attention. I`m used to professional products and don`t have much experience with Dupli-Color. However, I use that or Rustoleum on small parts that I am painting, but never use any of those products on the exterior of a vehicle.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

wetsand it then scan it for any imperfections, there is a pretty good filler compound that bondo makes, it comes in a little red bottle that you put a thin coat on to fill in any small imperfections you might have, believe me they will show up with black paint.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

bondo makes a filler in a can?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

anymore tips?

Quick Reply: Painting Tips needed ASAP!!!!