Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone with painted console's

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with painted console's

Alright, as you all know, I have a painted INT, I used Acetone to prep the upper center console on my M6 and sprayed it with Krylon Fusion Gloss Black paint. It looked great, as usuall with Krylon, it looks good, but not ricy ( high gloss over pepel grain looks bad, I want this to look factory ) so I let it cure, put it back in, and it was good for about a week. I started to notice a warn spot in the paint, and was like, wtf? So I took note of my arm when I shift, and sure enough, it rubs right there, and I also rest my arm on it there. I have used Krylon Fusion on my Kick panals, and the place where I put my foot ALL the time when its not on the clutch, is fine, and I would have thought that that would have taken more wear, I mean, I have rocks in my shoes and **** all the time, but it looks awsome still. What should I use on this area when I re-do it to keep it lookin good?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Alright, as you all know, I have a painted INT, I used Acetone to prep the upper center console on my M6 and sprayed it with Krylon Fusion Gloss Black paint. It looked great, as usuall with Krylon, it looks good, but not ricy ( high gloss over pepel grain looks bad, I want this to look factory ) so I let it cure, put it back in, and it was good for about a week. I started to notice a warn spot in the paint, and was like, wtf? So I took note of my arm when I shift, and sure enough, it rubs right there, and I also rest my arm on it there. I have used Krylon Fusion on my Kick panals, and the place where I put my foot ALL the time when its not on the clutch, is fine, and I would have thought that that would have taken more wear, I mean, I have rocks in my shoes and **** all the time, but it looks awsome still. What should I use on this area when I re-do it to keep it lookin good?
I would wrap a microfiber towel around your arm at all times when shifting. Not only will this prevent wearing, it will shine the paint everytime you shift
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ran into the same problem with the Duplicolor products. I switched to the Duplicolor Clear Wheel coating...it is a more durable finish and has been lasting a lot longer.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by parbreak
I would wrap a microfiber towel around your arm at all times when shifting. Not only will this prevent wearing, it will shine the paint everytime you shift

I think after you repaint the console, youre just going to have to learn to lift your arm above the console when you shift. As far as I've experienced, regardless of how smooth human skin tends to be, its fairly abrasive on all paints. I wonder if adding layers or wax to the paint will save the paint from wear. Maybe then you'll wear through the wax before you hit the paint? Just a thought.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

My console is paint, but it's auto paint and clearcoat and I've learned not to rest my arm on it. Too much custom work and effort went into this console to screw it up:

Bryan
parbreak
Old 08-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I was hopeing you would respond, thats the console I thought if when I made this thread... I eventually want to do that same thing only instead of n2o buttons, mold in a dock for my Ipod.

I think Im gonna take the console out and sand it all down again, prep it really good, spray it again, but this time use a **** load of coats of paint. Then let it sit up and maybe clear it, then wax it, see how that works. If all else fails I guess I'll GMparts Direct a ebony peice, but ebony really isnt the color I want... grr.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
I was hopeing you would respond, thats the console I thought if when I made this thread... I eventually want to do that same thing only instead of n2o buttons, mold in a dock for my Ipod.

I think Im gonna take the console out and sand it all down again, prep it really good, spray it again, but this time use a **** load of coats of paint. Then let it sit up and maybe clear it, then wax it, see how that works. If all else fails I guess I'll GMparts Direct a ebony peice, but ebony really isnt the color I want... grr.

Take it easy on the layers of paint. It's best to sand down the pebble finish a bit at first rather than layering on too many coats. That will lead to adhesion problems down the road. Check out the sticky in this section, I have a "How TO" write up on doing interior pieces.

IPod dock should be pretty cool.

Bryan
Old 08-04-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is why i never paint anything that gets touched
Old 08-04-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
this is why i never paint anything that gets touched
Well, my car never gets touched anyhow, so I don't have to worry about that.

8000 miles in over 4 years, not too much to worry about.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Anyone with painted console's