Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

steering wheel dressing? conditioner? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default steering wheel dressing? conditioner? Help!!

What do all use on your steering wheels. I have been using vinyl conditioner and I found out that was wrong. I used some meguiars wipes and it got sticky and now some conditioner but it is still a little sticky and leaves my finger prints on the steering wheel. Some of the color did transfer to my towel when I tried water so I think it is kind of faded so I put the conditioner with my hands to keep color from rubbing off on the towel. I have had the worst luck on this car inside. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or tell me what you all do.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I just wipe it down with armor all.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That was what I was doing and they told me to not use that stuff. Now I have made a bigger mess. It did look like new. Help! anyone.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What do you mean it made a mess, did you steering wheel fade? Mine is the same as when I got the car. Then again I dont clean my steering wheel too much its usually clean all the time. If there is something better to use on it please let us know. Leather cleaner should work.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you try to wipe it with water the color is coming off. I used vinyl rubber protectant by meguairs and I was told that was wrong so I used the leather wipes and it totally looked milky. Towel would not wipe it off either. I could only buff it out with my hands. So I used leather cond. with my hands and it looks better (color) but it shows your hand prints when you grip the steering wheel because it has a slight tack to it. I wish I had left it alone. Don't know what to do now.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good lord... you sure seem to be having trouble cleaning your interior. I think you've already made about 8 posts about it.

Last edited by Teri9672; 08-07-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know it has been one thing after another. I haven't even used anything wrong but nothing seems to be going well. I was hoping to find out what everyone is using to see what the majority does. I may be leaving it just like it is-sticky and all because things keep going wrong. I just like a clean new looking car.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see no reason to clean/condition your steering wheel unless you can actually see that it's dirty.

Sounds like you are cleaning your leather way too much. It doesn't need to be cleaned or conditioned everytime you clean your car. The dark "dirt" you see coming off the seats is probably blue jean ruboff from your pants. I usually just wipe my interior down with a swifer duster. I may only condition the leather a few times a year. I like to use my fingers to really rub the conditioner into the seats. I've used the Meguire's leather prep with no problems in the past.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I won't be doing it too much anymore. I was just using a vinyl meguiars product but yesterday I noticed there was dirt in the ridges so I worked on it a little more and it seemed to look worse as I got aggressive. My dad says it doesn't look bad now, just not as rich in color as the bottom part of the wheel that I did not work on. If I could just get the color back in the top like before. I would leave it alone for a long time. I was just wanted to make sure the wheel was protected from the sun.

Quick Reply: steering wheel dressing? conditioner? Help!!