Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How long does it take you to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does it take you to...

wash ur car. dry it. clay bar it. apply 2 coats of 1 product with a pc. another coat of a different product with a pc. then one last product by hand?

im going to try and finally use my pc b4 i go into work tomorrow i'll prob wake up at 8 or 9 and i pretty much have till about 130. Just wondering how long some of you guys take. which im sure it will take me longer since its my first time, but at least i can estimate. ill take some pics and post them up aswell. thanks

Last edited by osvaldo; 12-04-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it takes me a little over an hour to wash and dry my car. doing a full coat of wax/polish/claybar/etc. all take roughly an hour per coat. i do everything by hand.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:04 PM
317indy

wash, claybar, rewash, dry - 30-45 minutes.

why are you applying two coats of the same product?

unless its layer-able, its pointles. there are only few products that layer, and they dont get rid of any swirls i.e. zaino.

but anyways, to apply with PC a product like carnubba wax, 10-20 minutes. take it off by microfiber towel or pc...by hand - 10 minutes by pc - 15-25 minutes.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive never claybared, but the night before a show, i have a tendency to spend anywhere between 5-7 hours and im always busy doin something. dont ask me how, i just get in the mood and cant stop till everything is perfect, inside and outside, wether or not it will be seen....i probally spend about an hour in small breaks gettin a drink or just resting. i do everything by hand too, nothing like elbow grease. and when im done i just look at it forever. with pride and satisfactory of what i just accomplished. the exterior is really nice, but honestly, i believe my interior is my strong point. ask anyone who has seen my car and i am sure they will tell you the same. sounds obsessive, but i guess i am

Last edited by LT1_Hawk; 12-04-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

well ima apply megs #80 by pc.
then 2 coats of nxt by pc. (Recommended by someone on the board)
then a final coat of #26 by hand.

Another question, when apllying #80, should i do the whole car or small sections? also do i let it haze or work it in till its almost gone then wipe off?

also with the nxt, do i let it haze or just work it in till its alomost gone? thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 05:36 PM
317indy

what are you trying to do here? are you trying to get rid of any swirls or what? what kind of condition is your paint in?
Old 12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by osvaldo
Another question, when apllying #80, should i do the whole car or small sections? also do i let it haze or work it in till its almost gone then wipe off?
work small sections at a time. Work it until the product has broken down completely, but don't dry buff. then wipe it off with a good quality terry cloth, or MF towel ..

also with the nxt, do i let it haze or just work it in till its alomost gone? thanks
apply it in a very light coat, then allow it to haze and cure .. usually takes somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes, depending on humidity, temperature, etc. then wipe it off with a clean MF towel
Old 12-04-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

6 hours if I take my time.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well ima apply megs #80 by pc.
then 2 coats of nxt by pc. (Recommended by someone on the board)
then a final coat of #26 by hand.

You're wasting your time by laying down the NXT then applying #26. After you use #80, just apply two coats of #26.

With #80, you need to work a 3ft x 3ft section at a time. Let it break-down and almost disappear. Wipe it down and move to the next section. You're probably going to need #83 since F-body and Vette clear coat is hard as glass.

If you do apply NXT; even though I would not, set the PC to speed level of 2 or 3 and just go over the whole car. No need to work the product in like #80. Let it dry for 20 to 30 minutes and wipe off. Same applies for #26.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

what speed for the #80?

Originally Posted by 317indy
what are you trying to do here? are you trying to get rid of any swirls or what? what kind of condition is your paint in?
sorry i should have specified, i am trying to get rid of swirls, i dont THINK they're that bad but thats just what i think u know? the paint is not in horrible condition, but again thats just my opinion, it has some minor oxidation. its a DD so...

KMAN, if i go that route should i apply 2 coats of 26 by hand or pc?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

TO DAMN LONG!

Around 4-6 hours but its a labor of love, wash, wax, interior detail etc

I take my time, and go at my own pace
Old 12-04-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

NXT has slight cleaners/abrasives in it, so it cannot be layered.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what speed for the #80?

KMAN, if i go that route should i apply 2 coats of 26 by hand or pc?
Doesn't matter. Applying #26 by PC would be a lot easier on your hands.

As for the PC speed when applying #80, check this site...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2524
Old 12-04-2006, 07:37 PM
317indy

What kind of Pads do you have for your PC? If you have the above mentioned problems, go to your local PepBoys, or CarQuest if you have one. They carry some really good Meguars products in store that usually arent found anywhere else. Get some Swirl Remover #2.

Then do this...

Wash, while car is wet, soapy, clean...Claybar...Rewash, Dry.

Make sure you work the whole car over with the claybar. (Be sure to check the claybar to see if it still has its pick-up ability, meaning you should always be feeling some sort of resistance on the body of the car from it being sticky. Many times people think they are claybaring their cars and think that simply going over the car with the claybar picked everything up without ever folding in the claybar to reveal a stickier inside. So just keep folding it over, if it ever feels slick and there is no more stickiness, get another section of clay.)

After the car is completely dry, after checking the windows, mirrors, hidden sections where water likes to hid i.e. sail panel section, rear hatch, go over the car with #80 Speed Glaze (I normally go Polish, Glaze, Sealer, Wax) but if you dont have the Polish, thats okay. I work each section until the product is broken down and the section is worked. Then I let it set while I work a diffrent section depending on how the weather looks if the sun is going to bake it, then try to take it off after 3-4 minutes. Otherwise I work the entire car, then go and take it off with the PC. BTW Pads, If you have Yellow pads, use those for the Glaze, Hopefully you have more than 4 pads. Anyways, then move onto the Swirl Remover, let it do the same thing as the #80. Thus far, your swirls and oxidation should be gone(If it isnt, you'll need to get a polish (one that has a higher cut to it) to remove the oxidation). Now go over the car with the NXT by hand with a microfiber towel...You can let it set and dry for however long you want in the shade. It comes off rather easy! Your swirls should be nonexistant by this last step. Dont bother with the #26. Unless you wish to do the engine compartment with it. Which is what I usually do. I wash it, dry it, spray it wih detailer spray, then wax it. Now clean your windows with Stoners Glass Cleaner :-) I love this stuff! I dont bother with tire shine unless its water based, because it slings everywhere...

btw

My car :-)

Last edited by 317indy; 12-04-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kman
Doesn't matter. Applying #26 by PC would be a lot easier on your hands.
I actually find it easier to apply #26 by hand .. it has a tendency to splatter a little when applied by PC, and makes removing more of an effort, imo.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

good looking car 317 .. what color is that ? Red or Orange ?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 PM
317indy

Torch Red.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the lake country pads, 2 orange pads for the #80 and 2 white pads for the nxt. i got the #80 b/c i thought that was a swirl remover. and i got the #26 b/c i though it was a last step.

317, what would u recommend to use?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the lake country pads, 2 orange pads for the #80 and 2 white pads for the nxt. i got the #80 b/c i thought that was a swirl remover. and i got the #26 b/c i though it was a last step.
Go over to www.meguiarsonline.com They can answer all your questions. #80 is a swirl remover and #26 is a last step. I just said #83 might be needed since f-body clear coat can be VERY hard...almost glass like.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gipraw
I actually find it easier to apply #26 by hand .. it has a tendency to splatter a little when applied by PC, and makes removing more of an effort, imo.
You must be doing it wrong like I was. I attended a Meguiars class at Meguair's Head Quarters here in Irvine, CA.

They taught me the correct way to apply the #26 via a PC. If you do it right, #26 is a lot easier to remove if you used a PC to apply it. I always use my hands a fresh microfiber to remove the wax. A PC applies #26 a lot thinner and more evenly and I find it extremely easy to remove...almost like butter.

Quick Reply: How long does it take you to...