Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Gullwing doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gullwing doors

i know most people say lambos are a no-no. I wanted them anyway just cause im tired of the parking lot deal with our doors being so thick so i was planning on getting them but then factory gt just came out with the gullwing kit. Has anyone checked it out? im interested but i dont know if it would hit the other cars when they went up lol. I think its cooler than the lambo kit. and the same price if not cheaper than a lot of them i know the bolt on lambo kit for our cars and for corvettes are over 1300 for the quality ones.
http://www.aerokits.net/cart/index.p...oducts_id=3508
Attached Thumbnails Gullwing doors-gullwing.jpg  
Old 12-20-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like youd smack the heck outta of the car next to you, not to mention if someone parked leaving you very little room you probably wouldnt be able to open your doors.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what i was thinking...but i dont know howd people get around in deloreans? they look like they also swing out pretty wide but my uncle used to have one and he said it looks like a way bigger issue than it was. I was wondering if it was that car only or could also be applied here
Old 12-20-2006, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

That kit is pretty sick looking. Too bad it doesn't have the same feature as some lambo kits, where it can be opened normally and gull wing style. However, it seems like it may actually be easier to use because the distance traveled isnt that much greater than the height of the door, where as its length is much greater and causes the problem to begin with.

I dont know about most of you, but I hardly really never park next to anyone anyway, so it would really be a non-issue. Nice find.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same here. i always try to find a spot where noones beside me
Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by coldkillinTA
same here. i always try to find a spot where noones beside me

I have become convinced it doesn't matter where I park, somebody always will park next to me. Even if I park clear across the lot and there are 10 spaces open next to me, there is always some clunker sitting next to my car when I go back to it.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol thankfully nothin has ever happened to my trans am...but,... the first frickin day i bought my audi, a 2004 tt 225 coupe, i parked way out in walmart in like the sub-parking lot you know where you walk so far out that you actually cross the traffic line that runs parelell with the store? And there are no cars anywhere its 8 am i guess i was being paranoid. Im walkin to my car and i pass this old guy that you can tell is rich. I get out to my car and theres a yellow ferrari f355 parked right next to me. On the other side of my car is a black s2000 which i couldnt see cause surprisingly, theyre smaller than my audi lol. well i immedately checked my side, where the hondas parked and everythings cool. I check my side and theres a rease, not a dent, about 7 inches long in the top part of my rear quarter panel and it has a faint faint yellow mark. so i waited for him to come out and he handed me $1500 cash and asked not to tell the insurance. I said duh and left. later that day i was on my way to the body shop when suddenly i accidentally had my turbo uprgraded at a local german tuner that was on the way. I hated that creas but i loved my 300 horespower all wheel drive go kart. I shouldnt have sold that car. where else can you get 0-60 in about 4 seconds (after my nods) and 38mpg?it'd peel out in second and chirp third and it was freekin all wheel drive! anyway-im surprised at the positive responses ive gotten but keep them coming!!i was wondering about our windows. do you think theyd clear? is there anywhere you can get a kit like on mu audi and my bmw that when you pull the handle the window goes downa an inch before you open the door?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That is not a gullwing door. Its a butterfly door. You need a strong fixed roof for gullwing doors since they hinge from the roof. If you want to do something like this to an f-body, I prefer the lambo door. The issue I see is that the swing height may be an issue in a parking garage. I'd like to hear from someone that has used it in a parking garage.

Here is a thread about a true-verticle lambo door kit:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=lambo
(scroll down for the pics and link)

There are many other threads on this subject and they pretty much all end up in bickering and rants about "rice". I like lambo doors but I wouldnt spend the high asking price ~$1000 for just hindges.

BTW, I love the Delorean and would like to own one some day.

Also, you traded an AWD 300hp tubro Audi A4 for an f-body......why? What year was it? My old boss used to have a 2001 Audi S4. It had twin turbos, 300+hp, AWD, great interior, great exterior, and a great ride balancing handling and comfort. I'd rather have it than a f-body, but I take what I can afford.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-21-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
That is not a gullwing door. Its a butterfly door. You need a strong fixed roof for gullwing doors since they hinge from the roof. If you want to do something like this to an f-body, I prefer the lambo door. The issue I see is that the swing height may be an issue in a parking garage. I'd like to hear from someone that has used it in a parking garage.

Here is a thread about a true-verticle lambo door kit:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=lambo
(scroll down for the pics and link)

There are many other threads on this subject and they pretty much all end up in bickering and rants about "rice". I like lambo doors but I wouldnt spend the high asking price ~$1000 for just hindges.

BTW, I love the Delorean and would like to own one some day.

Also, you traded an AWD 300hp tubro Audi A4 for an f-body......why? What year was it? My old boss used to have a 2001 Audi S4. It had twin turbos, 300+hp, AWD, great interior, great exterior, and a great ride balancing handling and comfort. I'd rather have it than a f-body, but I take what I can afford.

i agree with you, its a lot closer to a butterfly than a gullwing. My uncle used to have a delorean. They use the name gullwing door so i just used it as reference.

2nd- i had the audi and my trans am at the same time and it was an audi tt,not an s4, a 2004. stock form was a single turbo 225hp six speed all wheels drive. i upgraded the turbos and piping ang switched from a bypass valve to a blow off valve and an ecu tune to acheive approximately 300 hories to all four wheels. i am looking and looking for an s4 to buy but im going to buy an 04 or newer cause instaed of the twin turbo v-6 they decided to drop the 4.2litre v-8 in it. Can anyone say 360hp through all wheel drive? funny thought cause they still cant catch an evo, but an rs6 will blow anything away. Which is an a6 with a twin turbo v-8 making close to 500 horse power. BUt i think im going to put it all off in hopes of reserving the new audi r8. I hope i dont have to tell you what that it. I cant put it in words. i lthink that car is absolute perection. i dont care if theyre $150,000 im going to buy one. I know a lot of people dont like them but i dont care im in love. Ill put some gullwings or butterflies on my r8 and then see what you guys think
Old 12-21-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

vip 1 check this out
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+audi+s4&hl=en
Old 12-21-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gullwing doors were on the Dollorean's and some 70's Benz's...
Old 12-21-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think it was mor elike a 50's or 60's benz that thin was ancient. Didnt the first ever james bond drive it and even then it was a classic. I think its like the sl500 or something actually no i diont know but i do know what you're talking about. i think maybe they say gullwing cause when the doors are open they look like wings and the word gullwing was already associated with car doors. smart marketing schemes theyre trying to trick us all lol
Old 12-21-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yep it was a 500, and they are awesome cars. dunno the exact years, but id love to have one.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

save your doors and park all the way at the end of the lot next to a curb..the walks good for you anyway!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

a true gull wing door would be super hard on an f-body. we dont even have metal trim at the top of the door, its glass pressed on the seal strip. it would take extensive modification and time for something that isnt all that great.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 530transam
2nd- i had the audi and my trans am at the same time and it was an audi tt,not an s4, a 2004.
Oh, I though you said you had a A4. I still like the TT anyway.

I like the BMW M3, but I prefer the Audi S4. That's not the current one. The current one has the new tall corporate nose.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea but the current ones only a refresh with the same internals. And then theres your rs4 and s6 and rs6 audi makes some serious cars and not a whole lot of people know about them. Thats what i love about them
Old 12-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I also know about the RS series and they are amazing.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont know if i should try to order an r8 now or wait in hopes of an rs8!!!! like a twin turbo r8. omg id freak out. You know they gotta be thinking it. WHy not have a highest performance version of your highest performance performance car? but theyd proabably be another 20 grand and even harder to get
Old 12-22-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

thats what i was thinking...but i dont know howd people get around in deloreans? they look like they also swing out pretty wide but my uncle used to have one and he said it looks like a way bigger issue than it was. I was wondering if it was that car only or could also be applied here
My father had a few DeLoreans. And on quite a few occasions, we had to wait it out while someone came and moved their car, because it was too damn close.

Quick Reply: Gullwing doors