Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hope this is the right forum for this...Custom interior work (Gauges, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope this is the right forum for this...Custom interior work (Gauges, etc)

Is there a good resource/guide for installing gauges/switches? Such as doing cutting, making it look professional, etc.

Basically I'm wanting to mount my amplifier's volume control in the spot where the TCS switch would be on a TCS equipped vehicle. Mine doesn't have TCS. But I want to make it look professional and flush with the surrounding vinyl.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

It sounds like you are talking about installing gauges/switches in relation to a sound system? If so...first of all remember that existing holes are your friend. Many people hide switches in the ash tray/center console, but if you want them visible you can make a really nice cluster using some option blanks from the dealership(i.e. the TCS plate) or any kind of thin plastic stock. As long as you dont cut corners and take time to measure and align your holes/switches, and use a fitting carrier plastic, it should look very clean. As for cutting, a dremel tool would be your best bet for straight line cutting, and a hole saw would make quick work of any gauge holes.
The TCS plates from GM have lock tabs on the sides so they just clip in the "cigarette box garage" that im sure you have on your dash. Just mount your switch to that sucker, pop it in and itll look stock
Old 04-17-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I've got a T/A TCS/convertable switch plate with a new TCS switch but no vert switch. PM me if you want it.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

have beer make you a panel to fit where you want...
Old 04-18-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's an awesome (and useful) gauge panel setup.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i made a panel in my '00 V6 that went in that little cubby in front of the shifter on the drivers side if i remember. i use a old peice of door panel from a donor car(junked out Sunfire) and shaved it until it fit. cut a hole in the back of the slide out cubby area and ran my wires and drilled switches. looked really nice and professional. I don't have pics unfortunatley~Cole~
Old 04-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Teching In

"or any kind of thin plastic stock. As long as you dont cut corners and take time to measure and align your holes/switches, and use a fitting carrier plastic"

Where is a good place to get "thin plastic stock" and "fitting carrier plastic"?

Thanks very much for the responses so far, you've been very helpful.

Last edited by Grimery; 04-18-2007 at 03:10 PM.