Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

yall guys know more TINT

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yall guys know more TINT

ok my windows were tinted like crap i removed it and wanted to go as dark as legal so i can not mess with the law and have nice cool a/c cruising in my car

first i have tint stuck in the top of the back glass with the dots i was told use amonia to remove? if not what should i use? and will it damage defroster or plastic?

now legal here is anything on the back and 25% on the sides...im going to do 5% on the back but every1 around here tells me they cant get lifetime tint(wont fade) in 25% they tell me 35 is the lowest (to me a big deal)
also they tell me the window itself is about 3% so if they do 25 and the cop wants to he can get me a ticket for being ""22"" is this true? it makes sense.. if so then i wanna do 30 correct?
they tell me no1 makes 30% lifetime either, i dont wnt this fading in 5 years so i wont do 1 yr or cheap tint that fads to purple

i also read that yall use vynl on the dots out back, ill prolly go with that, and wondering if any of yall do banners in the front? do they help much? and do they bow up in the middle?

last what should i pay for tint job? got quotes around 150-175 without any mention of vynl on the back but they did say they would do it in one piece...so im guessing a little more for vynl?

basically want the car to be shaded as much as possible to have nice cold a/c not be as hot and to help it look a little better...advice/input welcome
Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on mine, i paid $175.. i had them done to 35%, the legal limit in mass, and i had my buddy who's a cop test them with the tint meter, they read 28%, gm has a decent amount of solar tint in these windows..now my maxima i had it done the same way, 35%, and i had him test them again..this time they read 32%, so i guess it depends on the make of the car... the tint meter that the police use also has a +/- 2% error on the meter, so if the cops a real hardass, technically the could get you...but the t-tops without shades let a lot of light in so i think you'll be fine..hope this helped
Old 08-06-2007, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Good luck with the dot matrix. The vinyl didn't stick to it and neither did the tint. I'm going to have somebody just paint that area to avoid anymore headaches.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by patricksd
Good luck with the dot matrix. The vinyl didn't stick to it and neither did the tint. I'm going to have somebody just paint that area to avoid anymore headaches.
My dad just got 35% all the way around (most you can do here) on his Z28 and the dot-matrix area never stuck, so they're having them just leave that section un-tinted. My cobalt will probably be the same way unfortunately...
Old 08-06-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

legal limit in texas is 20% on the sides go to expertint in plano by fry's and hooters. the use 3m materials with a lifetime warranty
Old 08-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

I got 5% lifetime all around. Not exactly legal but it stuck to the back window with no problem. I did lose my defroster when they removed the original tint though... I wouldn't be too worried about 25%. It won't look as dark because of the t-tops. A lot of light comes into our cars and makes the tint look less dark.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

remove it with a heat gun or hardcore hairdryer.

use windex and #0000 steel wool to get the remaining glue off.

(if you're brave, you can use really gentle sandpaper on the dots) and then spray any run-of-the-mill clear coat over your dot matrix to smooth out the depth between glass and dots. THEN have someone tint over it.

don't pay more than 180 for a full tint job.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here in michigan any tint is illegal on the front windows but any tint is legal on the back window so u could paint it black and it would be legal. i just do 5% all the way around and roll them down in the cities the cops are strict
Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

The best way to get the tint looking better on the dots it to wait until the glass gets hot (no problem now) and take a moist paper towel and rub the tint. Doesn't take it all out, but looks much better.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Default rear tint removal

the trick to remove the tint that a guy did mine is;

Get a heavy leaf trash bag, cut to fit rear window, Spray a good amount of Windex on it on the inside then place the cut fitted trash bad on it, smooth like your tintiing. Then park you car with windows up in the HOT Sun..
It will pull the tint off your window with out damaging the defroster.

I believe the key is to use lots of windex, extreme heat, and to have the bag placement perfectly fitted to the tint.

It only took mine @20 minutes to work, would have never believed it If i had never seen it for my self..
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, 25% is dark as hell to be legal. Then again nothing is legal on front in Jersey.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Banned

i think im goana sand the dots im goana use some acetone to remove the rest of it...seems to work quickly...i just gota find another place here locally i can trust..

Quick Reply: yall guys know more TINT