Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What do you all use to clean your motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What do you all use to clean your motor?

I have always taken it to the car wash and used the degresser (sp) has always worked good.....

My motor is not dirty at all, i have only driven the car 3500 miles this year, but it is time to clean it b4 i put it away.

So yesterday i p/u Black Magic 2 in 1; degresser and it shines. Has anyone ever used this product? Could not find CD2. So i hope this works
Old 10-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Launching!

I used it and it worked great. Just watch your electrical stuff and alternator. I like to get a wet rag and dab some simple green on it. Works great for car shows.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/159036-proper-cleaning-lsx-engine-bay.html
(Thats located in the "Hall of Fame" sticky at the top of this section.)
Old 10-09-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIP1
Sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159036
(Thats located in the "Hall of Fame" sticky at the top of this section.)
LOL at the link, i have washed my motor plenty of times. My comment was is the Black Magic 2 in 1 any good. Does it really work...

That is all
Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best thing ive done is compressed air and a wipe down with an absorber each time i was the car. looks great everytime.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torchd,

I use that Black Magic 2 in 1 cleaner and I think it works great. When I do it I usually take the car for a quick drive to get it all warmed up, then spray everything down. I usually cover the MAF, fuse boxes, pcm, and battery. Then after letting it sit for a while I rinse it with the hose and then pour distilled water all over everything so I dont get water spots.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Torchd,

I use that Black Magic 2 in 1 cleaner and I think it works great. When I do it I usually take the car for a quick drive to get it all warmed up, then spray everything down. I usually cover the MAF, fuse boxes, pcm, and battery. Then after letting it sit for a while I rinse it with the hose and then pour distilled water all over everything so I dont get water spots.
Thanks for replying. I am gald to see some actual testimonies on this. I do have 1 question. Why do you want the motor warm? I have ALWAYS washed the motor when it was cold. But the Black Magic does say to do it warm.. Any ideas why???? When you do a quick drive, how long would you say? What do you use to cover the MAF, Fuse Box, PCM and battery? Good idea on the distilled water for no water spots. How many gallons do you usually use to get all the Black Magic off???

Thanks..

-Jonas
Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Thanks for replying. I am gald to see some actual testimonies on this. I do have 1 question. Why do you want the motor warm? I have ALWAYS washed the motor when it was cold. But the Black Magic does say to do it warm.. Any ideas why???? When you do a quick drive, how long would you say? What do you use to cover the MAF, Fuse Box, PCM and battery? Good idea on the distilled water for no water spots. How many gallons do you usually use to get all the Black Magic off???

Thanks..

-Jonas
I use grocery bags to cover all that stuff. I warm it up because the oily residues on the engine are more fluid when warm and are more easily removed by the degreaser. I usually drive it around until it gets to normal temps. I rinse the Black Magic off with the hose first so I can blast away the dirty stuff, then go back over everything with about a gallon or two of distilled water to take care of the water spots. I usually try to dry off as much of the engine as I can, then take it for a spirited drive to get the water out of where the knock sensors are and things like that. Then I try to let it run for a while until it looks pretty dry.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I use grocery bags to cover all that stuff. I warm it up because the oily residues on the engine are more fluid when warm and are more easily removed by the degreaser. I usually drive it around until it gets to normal temps. I rinse the Black Magic off with the hose first so I can blast away the dirty stuff, then go back over everything with about a gallon or two of distilled water to take care of the water spots. I usually try to dry off as much of the engine as I can, then take it for a spirited drive to get the water out of where the knock sensors are and things like that. Then I try to let it run for a while until it looks pretty dry.
ypu that is what i do, excpet i do it when the motor is cold or cool.. Sounds like a good plan to me
Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the enginebrite stufff in the spray can and it seems to work pretty well. Ill have some before and after pics of the camaro i just bought here in a few weeks bc im yanking the tranny out right now. But while its being rebuilt i will have the engine bay all to myself .. Just wait til you see the change it has made.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I washed the motor today... It was barley dirty. I did end up using the Black Magic 2 in 1 degreser and shiner.... It did a great job getting the dirt away, but like i said my motor was clean to begin with. And it did a great job with the built in shine, but i took it one step further and detailed it more....
Old 10-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I clean mine by hand using Amor-all and a towel, but I have also used Gunk Citrus Engine Brite cleaner and detailer.

http://www.gunk.com/product_images/vl_CEB1.JPG
Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I use diluted Simple Green(%50SG/%50Water) to clean my engine. I bought a pesticide spray tank(2 gallons) to hold the mixture so it's ready to use anytime. I clean my engine bay just about every two weeks. I don't cover anything up. Just use common sense and do not hold the hose directly over your pcm,alternator and fuse boxes.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I use WD40 works great.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

ohh BTW the Black Magic 2 and 1 cleaner once you spray it to the motor, then wash it off, then let the car run... Man the stuff SMELLS!!!!!!

Be prepared for a headache
Old 10-19-2007, 10:46 AM
master of the "jack"stand

Once it is clean, just keep up with it using a wet towel and armor all or something on the plastic pieces. If you are dedicated enough to want your engine clean, there should be no reason for degreaser and direct water to the engine IMO.

Quick Reply: What do you all use to clean your motor?