Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who is interested in a fiberglass FIREHAWK hood from VFN

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who is interested in a fiberglass FIREHAWK hood from VFN

Im trying to get VFN to make a fiberglass hood similiar to the firehawk hood.
for those who dont know they are a sponser ewre and make hoods for the TA and camaro. they resently produced the WS6 4" cowl hood. I think if we had enough people interested they would produce them.

I know alot of people really want this hood, and would also like the weight savings from a fiberglass hood.

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/UBB/ult...c;f=4;t=000047
Old 09-03-2003, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Who is interested in a fiberglass FIREHAWK hood from VFN

i would like to see a carbon fiber hood to make it even lighter. how about a hood similair to the firehawk but not an exact duplicate?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

maybe, but there fiberglass hoods are very affordable, and the carbon would save what? 4 lbs more?
They have the raptor hood, but it isnt as beautiful as the firehawk, ever see it in person, the raptor hood doesnt compare. I think it is the side heat extractors that make the hood shine.

here are some example from their site

98-2002 Stock Flat Pin On Hood . Price=255.00 Weight=11 Ship: Truck Freight.

98-2002 Stock Flat Bolt On Hood . Price=355.00 Weight=11 Ship: Truck Freight.

98-2002 WS6 Ram Air Bolt on hood.Comes with Factory Grill inserts.Price=480.00 Weight=25 Ship: Truck Freight

98-2002 WS6 4inch Ram Air lift off hood. Comes with Factory Grill inserts.Price=480.00 Weight=13 Ship: Truck Freight.

i Didnt see any carbon fiber ones on there site but i might have missed it.

Old 09-03-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

VFN has a funny way of producing strange hoods that few people want, while overlooking cries for nice hoods like you describe...
They put out the god-aweful 4" WS6 hood and bulbous SS hood when folks were begging for a modern cowl hood. Strange business decision. I bet more Camaro guys were posting asking for the cowl than they will ever sell of that swollen SS hood.
Dave
Old 09-03-2003, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

i hear their fit and finish isnt that spetacular too?
Old 09-03-2003, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

The 4" WS6 hood and the 3" SS hoods are in line with VFN's race car orientation. They have never looked to supplant a company like ASCD or Suncoast as suppliers of OE style hoods. If you ever visit there you will see some Pro Mod cars there and other equally impressive race cars. If you want a stock style SS hood for your car Dave go get one from Suncoast.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

what is ascd's web address?
Old 09-03-2003, 11:55 PM
TECH Veteran

FWIW, the last GM restoration parts ad i saw had production SS and Firehawk hoods. I guess since they are outta production you can buy them without having to deal with SLP.

Old 09-04-2003, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes ive heard that, just would like a lighter hood.
how much does a firehawk hood weigh.

this would also give firehawk cars an option to shed some pounds too.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

Well, I can tell you that criticism from guys like Ratio give threadz like this a credibility rating of like -2, so you might to try delete this thread and try again. You don't have to believe me but I know all the owners over there and was over there a few weeks ago.

When you ask a company to make something, you don't use the thread as an opportunity to make gratuitous critical comments about their other products.

With VFN it's about the racing. I can ask them to when I next talk to them about doing a Firehawk style hood.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks John

"With VFN it's about the racing" thats what i want. A decent hood thats light. Fit doesnt have to be pefect. Just a good looking hood that will take 40lbs off the nose.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

umm i have a question regarding their whole "front clip" thing..

would this be legal for a daily driven? is the fiberglass over the "lights" meant to be cut out in order to place the oem headlights ect?

or is this just for Drag cars who paint ver these parts?

i'd imagine otherwise it could bring some balance to these cars, and weigh savings..
Old 09-05-2003, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

not sure what front clip is with, but i intend to use this for my daily driver. so headlights would need to be functional.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is the "inside" of this front area just like stock?

for example, it wouldn't cause any problems if i buogth a FI system desgined for a f-body, and i had the vfn front area everything would clear the same?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

it should, least i think, i got an FI system so....

we got 5 people on the "other" board interested, lest get some more so we can get it going.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

John,
No one makes the hood that I want.
VFN posted a thread here a while back and asked what we wanted in a Camaro design.
Alot of folks wanted the one off cowl design.
It was on/off/on again with VFN.
I didn't ask them, they asked me/us.
I didn't twist their arm to give us mixed signals on whether or not the hood would be made.
I didn't care about their 'race roots' when they asked what we wanted in a hood design.
They asked our opinion.
They strung us along.
They eventually gave us erroneous information that Harwood makes the hood we wanted... Harwood doesn't. I haven't contacted VFN again trying to give them my money. I guess that is what they wanted by pushing me off on Harwood.
Nothing personal.
I just wanted to clear up your perseption that I am blowing smoke.
It's all fact.
Dave
Old 09-09-2003, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Hi Dave....
sorry if you feel like we have strung you along...if we had done this, we would have taken your money and dissappeared. As much as we would love to make hoods that you guys are interested in, we are unable to do everything. We are a small shop that produces over 4000 products....this is not to say that we will not ever do any projects other then what we do now, it just means we have to be extremely picky about and exactly when we take on new projects. Keep in mind as we were building the SS and Firebird hoods, that at the exact same time we are also building new molds on older cars such as Complete front ends and bodies...for earlier model cars (such as Impalas). These are also items that no other company is offering. The process of designing and building molds is not Cheap! It is VERY time consuming(possible months) and very expensive. This is the nature of this business the new projects NEVER stop,.and there is not enough time to build everything.

When we first started working with John there were quite a few ideas tossed around for different styles of hoods....we worked with John and made what we believed to be awesome looking hoods that are definately attention grabbers...btw it is not our fault if a customer uses a race style hood for a street car - we cannot control what the customers do with our products once they leave our shop, we did recommend that this particular hood was NOT made for street use.
We did have a few mold guys at this time and did post messages and contacted a few people about different ideas, but we are unable to focus only on this board with the products...we are sponsors of many other classes/boards and have to give everyone fair help/attention.
There are other companies that offer hoods - many of what you guys are asking for and we do not want to follow in other companies footsteps and offer the same...we like to be a bit different. As for referring you to Harwood, we are familiar with their company and quality but we are not aware of everything that they produce as we do not work there.

Onto other items asked:

THE NEW 93-97 SS HOODS ARE NOW READY FOR SALE!! PICTURES ONLINE BY THE END OF THE WEEK!!

Now onto another subject:
umm i have a question regarding their whole "front clip" thing..

would this be legal for a daily driven? is the fiberglass over the "lights" meant to be cut out in order to place the oem headlights ect?

or is this just for Drag cars who paint ver these parts?

i'd imagine otherwise it could bring some balance to these cars, and weigh savings..

To answer your questions:
our front end clips are geared for racing rather then street. You can order this in street weight to make it a bit stronger - there is about 10% discount for this option. But the front end will not accept a bolt on version of the hood, it is made for a lift off version. The front end will need to be mounted to the car using a mounting kit. To get an idea of what is involved in mounting the front end, please check our site for the Pro Front End mounting Instructions. Your lights and grill can work with our front end - you will need to cut these areas out and can either glass or glue the lights/grill assembly back in.

Jeanie
Old 09-09-2003, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jeanie,
Thank you for your time in explaining.
You are not the one that was posting asking about our opinions and no explaination was offered until now about why that person would say one thing, while a call to your office would produce another response depending on who answered the phone.
Thanks again.
Done hi-jacking the thread.
Just consider it TTT...
Dave
Old 09-09-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

I like the VFN products and would REALLY like so see a raised version of the Firehawk hood. Maybe like a 2" rise.

Josh S.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just the regular raptor hood, or one like the firehawk hood w/ heat extractors would be very nice. Please just nothing crazy like that 4" one

Quick Reply: Who is interested in a fiberglass FIREHAWK hood from VFN