Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny cooler install Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny cooler install Q's

Anybody who has installed a tranny cooler did you replace the factory one or did you use it to supplement it? Where did you install it and what is the cleanest way to plumb it in?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

If you keep the one in the radiator, have it cool the oil before going into the external one. Have the external one the last stop before going back into the tranny.

..Is that what you are asking?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LCplmarine98
Anybody who has installed a tranny cooler did you replace the factory one or did you use it to supplement it? Where did you install it and what is the cleanest way to plumb it in?
Im installing mine in front of the radiator. Im using an external one by itself im not going to be running it in conjuction with the stock cooler in the rad.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by waynehartwig
If you keep the one in the radiator, have it cool the oil before going into the external one. Have the external one the last stop before going back into the tranny.

..Is that what you are asking?
Pretty much i wanted to see what people were doing i want it to be a clean stock looking install, and to make sure the tranny stays plenty cool
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

I ran my with the stock cooler with the radiator one first then the external one back to the tranny it seems to work really well temps at about 180 or less even in 100 degree weather
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jorgez28
I ran my with the stock cooler with the radiator one first then the external one back to the tranny it seems to work really well temps at about 180 or less even in 100 degree weather
My personal opinion this is the best way. Yes, it will heat the oil when not needed (because the coolant temp), but the external can cool that down easily. The best part is when really needed, the radiator cooler will cool it before it goes into the external. Yes, the motor may run at 200*, but that is not what the water coming out of the radiator is, nor what the oil going back to the trans would be - if plumbed correctly. The return back to the trans should be the lowest on the radiator, where it will be the coolest. I'd bet the water going back to the motor is close to 150* at that point.

Who knows. Run it both ways and find your best/coolest and go that way.

Also, keep in mind that the heat is generated mostly in the converter. So the more that converter stays locked, the cooler the temps will be.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Regular

Where are you guys locating the external cooler?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed the path through the radiator completely and I just run the external cooler. I have mount mounted in front of my radiator and it works well. I have never seen my temps over 180 degrees with a 3600 stall Yank converter.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Launching!

The only time mine go over 180, is when I'm towing my camp trailer. Otherwise it's below 180 and takes a long time to get to 180 as well.

Most well known shops will tell you to delete the radiator cooler and just run the external - unless you are in a climate that requires the radiator to heat the oil - like sub 0's.

I still believe there is no harm in running it, as it does add a second cooler, which don't suck at all.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bypassed the factory cooler, as this is what Performabuilt said to do. With a 4k stall, it still gets pretty warm. It gets to a temp that is about what the ECT is, so I'm not so sure it would help to run the factory cooler or not.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RoDan
I bypassed the factory cooler, as this is what Performabuilt said to do. With a 4k stall, it still gets pretty warm. It gets to a temp that is about what the ECT is, so I'm not so sure it would help to run the factory cooler or not.
The only way to know is to try it. It's extremely possible that the external is just keeping up adn if you had the radiator cooler going, it might increase the cooling capacity. Just gotta make sure to hook it up right... From the trans to the highest port, then the lowest port back to the trans or to the highest point on the next cooler and etc. Simple, heat rises, so the cooler stuff is on the bottom.

I'm all for trying both ways and go with what gets the oil the coolest during it's extreme times. 180* all day long is fine, but 220*+ bursts aren't. The extremes are what you are trying to avoid, IMO.... But I use mine for a completely different purpose, so I might be working mine harder. For me I saw a difference of 20*+ when I added the radiator in.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your help this is a good forum