Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats a cracked flexplate sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Whats a cracked flexplate sound like?

I got a horrid vibration/pounding being felt at the front of the transmission in the car with an obnoxious roar. Im suspecting flexplate. I checked the trans fluid it smells/looks fine (flt trans) . Tranny still shifts fine converter locks great still. I can hear somthing rattle from the bellhousing real quick when I shut the car off. When its sitting idling in gear its quiet but once the car gets moving ~5 mph it starts
Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to explain. It's kind of a dinging sound. That may be what you're hearing. Usually don't notice much vibration though. At least I didn't when I broke a flexplate. Is it worse in gear? When the flexplate is just spinning the input shaft and there is no load, they are usually not near as bad. I could barely hear mine in park. It get's worse in gear.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Could be as minor as a weird ticking sound, all the way up to metal hitting metal and sound like hell...
Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Kinda sounds like a rod knock when they get real bad. yours may be in the beggining stages of breaking or the bolts possibly loosened up on ya.either way i would definitly check it real good.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it sounds more like rocker arm tick but from the tranny area.Been a while tho since i had that problem.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
Kinda sounds like a rod knock when they get real bad. yours may be in the beggining stages of breaking or the bolts possibly loosened up on ya.either way i would definitly check it real good.
i agree.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

You check the converter bolts to make sure they didn't loosen up on you?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Mine broke right in the center, and out by the edge on the same side, and it was marked with sfi codes. I got it off ebay used, never again for something like that.

It started out as a ding ding sound and worked its way up to a clanging sound before I shut it off in couple of mins. It was a 6" crack that went to the next hole from where the weld failed at the ring, and the center at the crank was cracked above the bolt holes. It also scratched up the back of the block pretty good, but not to serious. It probally did most of the damage, trying to figure out what the noise was for those few mins. Im just glad it didn't happen on the freeway or when I was really getting on it, but at start up in the driveway. I originally thought my starter was stuck.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 05-29-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I checked the converter bolts they were all just as tight. Inspected the flexplate for over an hour from the inspection covers and behind the starter could not see anything wrong with the flexplate & didnt seem loose. The bolts that hold the flexplate to the crank all seem to be in. Somehow my starter is fucked up now. The gear is stuck out on it. Im starting to wonder if the gear had been riding the teeth on the flexplate which was making some noise. Like I said when I shut the car off I could hear somthing rattle for a second. Gonna throw a new starter on tomorrow and run it through the gears on jackstands see if I can locate the noise/vibration
Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If the started gears were engaged into the flexplate with the car running it could force the starter to turn . Its not a balanced assembly and could possibly account for the noise and the vib.
Just a possibility
Frank at PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-30-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Found the problem..well 2. I had a bad starter and a bent driveshaft!

Quick Reply: Whats a cracked flexplate sound like?