Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2024, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum leak

I'm about ready to burn my car to the ground. So any help is really appreciated. I have a turbo 99 camaro on an ms3pro. I blew it up a few years back and I have really taken my time putting it together and changing things. About a year ago now I tried pretty hard to get the car at the track again. So after a good thrash I had it running, but running rough like it had a big cam. I pull it out of the garage and the brake pedal is hard as a rock. So my gut reaction is vacuum leak. Well since then I have pulled everything off the of the top of the motor and checked everything I can think of. I've used ether around every place that could possibly leak into the intake manifold and found nothing. I have checked every single thing i can think of. I have no idea how a vacuum leak can stump me so bad. Is it possible there is something more going on? I haven't tried new plugs or anything like that to see. But in my mind the only way the car can idle like it is and still have a rock hard pedal is if it's a vacuum leak. Can anyone help me out? Is there something simple I have overlooked or am over thinking? Thanks.

Last edited by moisbest42; 09-09-2024 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2024, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Brake booster ?
cam retarded?
What's the AFR at when idling?
Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM
Teching In

I've eliminated the booster as the cause. I've pulled the vacuum line to it and plugged it, still the same. Afr is in the 17's at idle. Cam was installed straight up. I know that seems super lean but as soon as you touch the throttle it goes to 13's or 12's. That being said, there's another symptom I forgot to mention, and that is a soon as you whack the throttle it stumbles almost to the point of dying, but if you roll into it slow it'll stumble a little then revs fine.

Last edited by moisbest42; Yesterday at 03:58 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 239 Likes on 209 Posts

How about buying a smoke tester?
Smoke machine $80 Smoke machine $80
Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 566 Likes on 441 Posts

Had this problem a year or so ago and ended up being a broken valve spring that made zero noise and didn't affect the idle either.
Give those springs a look, start carefully spraying brake cleaner around the intake, if the idles jumps, you have a leak.
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Teching In

I checked around the intake with ether, I got no change in the idle. So you had a bad valve spring cause the pedal to be hard?
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 566 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by moisbest42
I checked around the intake with ether, I got no change in the idle. So you had a bad valve spring cause the pedal to be hard?
I did, the broken valve spring brought my idle vacuum down a couple Hg's just enough to affect the power brakes.
I started installing a manual brake kit thinking it was bad and found the broken valve spring after removing the valve cover to get the booster out.
You may have a crack in the intake if using a factory plastic intake or maybe broke a nipple off the back during the swap.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
Teching In

I have a pro flow intake. But I'll for sure check the valve springs when I get home. One of the heads is new, so maybe it's the older one.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Teching In

It's not the valve springs they're all fine.
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

What is the idle vacuum? And what rpm ? Is the idle speed normal or high? Is the combo and tune the same, does it need a retune? Injectors sat for years ? What fuel ? Did they get gummed up from E85? A lot of questions I know but all possibilities
Old Today, 03:04 AM
Teching In

No idea we've the actual in/hg is at idle. Idle speed is about 975. The combo is the exact same and doesn't need a re-tune. I sent the injectors back to id to be cleaned and checked and they're fine. Fuel is e85, and it's fresh.

Quick Reply: Vacuum leak