Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my 4L60E dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my 4L60E dead?

Ok, back story on the car. Frame and I'm assuming original trans have 123k miles on it. For the last 20k I have been running a 3500 stall on it with of course a trans fluid cooler. No problems, has been running great for 3 years. Well tonight it decided to say **** I'm out. I have driven the car like it is supposed to be since the day I bought it at 86k miles and it has seen its fair share of abuse, but no real issues.

Now for the breaking part. Was driving along from a stoplight, car shifts into second fine (3500RPM shift) then all of a sudden no drivetrain, just RPMs. No pop, smoke, leaking or anything. Car wasn't even being driven that hard. Pull over, take a look under the car and drive shaft isn't even turning while in gear (friend with me in seat) so I ruled out a gear/rear end issue. Checked the fluid and it was almost dry, but I hadn't been seeing any leaks whatsoever in the driveway where she sits. To be honest it really just feels like the trans isn't engaging into gear when shifted to R or 1,2,D, or OD. It feels as if it tries to but nothing happens. It is now sitting in my driveway after being towed.

I am hoping to get a better understanding of just how bad it may be from you all. I am hoping for something breaking in the linkage between the engine and trans but afraid it may be a converter or whole trans issue. My options are towing it to a shop here in town to have it looked at, a shop 60 miles away that did my converter install (good guy/friend) and have it rebuilt stock, or take it to the shop where I had the dyno tune done since they build stage 3/4 etc transmissions (200 miles).

Thanks in advance for responses and I will try to answer any questions regarding the problem ASAP.

EDIT: Also, no codes are being thrown...

Last edited by 1WICKDZ; 06-23-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like what happened to my transmission. I finally got out of the denial stage and am buying a replacement for the time being.

Run these things low on fluid and they WILL go in a short amount of time.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Awesome, sounds like I'm fkd.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Unfortunatley even a very short drive low on fluid can kill any trans. Sounds like you need a new one.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You aren't fucked, you just gotta spend some money to get back on the road. Get the transmission torn apart by the shop of your choice and see what went wrong and rebuild it a bit stronger to hold the abuse the stall puts out. Rebuild the stall if needed.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Forward clutches like fluid. Get pissed without it. Then they go postal and take everyone with them. Sorry bout your luck bro. Don't worry about, just fix it and get it back on the road!! Just remember to keep a check on your fluid next time ..........this is a silly question but I have to ask, did you try adding fluid?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Launching!

I tried adding a single quart, going to pick up some more tomorrow and check it, put it back to normal levels and see what happens.