Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New torque converter whining

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New torque converter whining

Ok, I installed a new yankss3600 last weekend. I made sure it clicked 3 times and it went all the way into the pump. I didn't seem to need spacers because it fit in perfectly tight onto the flexplate. Fluid is full and clean. Transmission has relatively low miles and didn't make any noise with the stock converter.

Sitting still in all gears, including neutral and park the converter/trans makes no noise. But when I start to take off I can hear a quiet whining coming from under the car when the converter is slipping. Seems to only do it taking off slow between 1500-2500 rpms. I cant hear it with higher rpms or when it locks up. It isnt loud, no one else that has rode in the car has noticed it but me unless I say something about it.

Is this normal? Will it go away when it breaks in? I still need to get a tune but cant till next weekend. Converter locks fine and transmission shifts fine. Ive put about 30 miles on the car since the install.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Double check the fluid level. Sounds like it may be a pump whine from fluid cavitation.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I rechecked the fluid and it is right on full. Ive driven the car more and everything seems fine. I think it may be that I dont have a dust cover on the car and I'm hearing the flywheel cutting the air.

I also hear it when revving in park or neutral at around 1500-2500 rpms.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but what did you figure out? Does it still do it? I just put a Vig 4000 in mine and it does the same thing.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I know they likely won't fit close to the flexplate. What does "close" even mean anyway? I had to shim mine bc it was way to far from the flexplate. As far as the 3 clicks deal. I have done this with success, however, I feel the measurement from the bellhousing to the converter feet is a great way to double check proper converter engagement.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TrikeMike
I know this is an old thread but what did you figure out? Does it still do it? I just put a Vig 4000 in mine and it does the same thing.
I drove it for 6 months like that. It was fine. I sold the car do I don't know how it's doing now. I never measured distance to the bellhousing but I got the three clicks and it fit perfect so I assumed it was correct.

However my b&m 2800 that's in my car now makes no noise.

Quick Reply: New torque converter whining