Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter unlocking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Converter unlocking?

I have a Performabuilt LVL 2 trans and their 3500 stall. I'll be driving down the road and the converter will lock up as its supposed to. But then while going down the road it will just unlock for no reason. Sometimes it will stay that way for a mile or so and then lock up again. I can be going down the highway running 70mph with the cruise on and it will just unlock for no reason. Stay that way for a while and then just lock back up. Does it all the time.

I have a friend who is a GM mechanic. He said it may be throwing a certain code that is causing the stall to do that. We haven't looked at it yet. But I wanted to ask on here before we do and get some input. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Misfires, real or false, will do that.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what was causing the convertor on my truck to unlock and lock. Found out I had a cracked plug wire.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

You know last year the car wouldn't hardly run because I was getting the "multiple engine misfires" code. Well I got to looking around and I noticed some water in a couple of the pockets on the Fast intake. Well I took some compressed air and blew it out real good and made sure everything was dry. That fixed the problem right up. I haven't had a problem since. Car has run fine.

I will check out the plug wires as you guys have recommended. I haven't checked it for any codes either. My friend that works for GM said if its throwing the code he suspects it might be that it wouldn't show up on one of those hand held scanners like Auto Zone uses. He said it would show up on the machine they use at the dealership. We just haven't hooked it up yet. Thanks.