Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into 98 Blazer 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LSx into 98 Blazer 4x4

I am gearing up to start another project soon and I cannot find too much information about it. I have acquired a 1998 4.3L 4 door 4wd Blazer with a bum motor. The body and rest of the truck however is in nice shape. I'd like to drop a 6L or 5.3L LS series engine into it.

The main hurdle in this will be the transfer case. From my research it looks like the 5.3/6.0 will not bolt up to the trans that's currently in the truck, which is a shame because I was told it was just rebuilt. But, my question is, if I find a 2wd dropout, can I bolt up my tcase to that 4L60? Or if I can find a 4wd dropout, will my axles slide right into the new tcase?

This is the only part of the swap I haven't figured out. I'm thinking this is going to make a fun little daily driver though.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it will bolt up...do more research...its a 60-e...converter spacing would be my concern
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
I am gearing up to start another project soon and I cannot find too much information about it. I have acquired a 1998 4.3L 4 door 4wd Blazer with a bum motor. The body and rest of the truck however is in nice shape. I'd like to drop a 6L or 5.3L LS series engine into it.

The main hurdle in this will be the transfer case. From my research it looks like the 5.3/6.0 will not bolt up to the trans that's currently in the truck, which is a shame because I was told it was just rebuilt. But, my question is, if I find a 2wd dropout, can I bolt up my tcase to that 4L60? Or if I can find a 4wd dropout, will my axles slide right into the new tcase?

This is the only part of the swap I haven't figured out. I'm thinking this is going to make a fun little daily driver though.

Thanks,
Adam
The existing trans. will bolt up to the lsx motor but the conveter and input shaft are different. You need a 300mm 4l60e w/ a 4x4 tailshaft (only 1 type), w/ a 300mm conveter (which is the original setup behind an lsx motor). When fabricating motor mounts the for the engine, it's critical to keep the trans. in the same exact location. This way the existing transfer case, transfer case to transmission housing will bolt up to the 300mm 4l60e. The only concern is if the transfer case can handle the torque/hp
Old 02-26-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome thanks for the info!

I wonder if I can just have a custom converter made to use as an "adapter"? If that's doable then this should be a pretty easy endeavor.....