Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating M6 to A4 swap, reccomend me an auto trans/stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating M6 to A4 swap, reccomend me an auto trans/stall

I have an '02 SS with a maggie/spray on it that makes some great power and some great down low torque.

I am debating the switch from my M6 to an A4, but I know NOTHING about an auto trans.

I am hoping that I can lay out how/where I use the car and then get a good recommendation of what trans and stall to use.

The car currently makes almost 800 RWHP (through the M6) and around 640 RWTQ. The car is full weight (stereo, interior, etc) and is almost 4,000 pounds with me, fuel, etc.

- I daily drive this car every day, that is number one. I love that it drives like a totally stock car and gets fuel economy as good as stock. Any auto that I swap to has to keep these characteristics.

- I do a decent amount of highway racing (from a 50, 60, 70mph roll) so I would want a trans/stall capable of handling this without stumbling, searching for which gear to be in, maxing out my RPM/MPH because I am out of gear, etc.

- I drag race on the track in a drag radial class. I am hoping that this swap will help my ET's a little bit.

- I compete in an open road race which allows you to run up to 200mph pending your class, so I would like a transmision that will not top out early because it only has 2 or 3 gears.

I am reading a ton on stalls, valve bodies, which trans, lockup vs non lockup, etc.

I guess what I am asking is with the info above, if my car was yours, which auto and stall would you swap to and why?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Use a built 4L80 , its basically a turbo 400 with overdrive , very strong trans ! as for your converter it all depends on where your torque curve comes in at . with your power level its probly around 5000 rpm ! However i wouldnt run much more than a 4000 stall converter on a Daily driver , and hopefully they offer one that retains the lock up feature !
Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With a blower you should be more then fine with a 3600 converter or maybe even a 3200. 4L80.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Im in Tampa and have a A4 and am looking to swap to M6...let me know if you are interested in swapping since we both have what each other needs...

Quick Reply: Debating M6 to A4 swap, reccomend me an auto trans/stall